How does one explain life's changes to a pair of 4-year-olds? So far they have dealt well with living in a foreign country and all of the changes that go with it - the different foods, different cars, different houses, and more. This week I find myself trying to explain why they have a new teacher. And it isn't going too well.
We have talked about the fact that "Maitresse" (Teacher) is going to have a baby. They seem okay with that. The stumbling block seems to be the new teacher. Well, what to call her anyway. The conversation has been going something like this:
The girls keep telling me that "Maitresse is going to have a baby and we have a new teacher."
I respond that yes, Madame G. is going to have a baby and that they have a new Maitresse.
They reply, as if I am nuts, "Yes, Mommy, Maitresse is having a baby and we have a new teacher."
They didn't seem to understand that the word Maitresse is a title, not one's actual name so I tried this explanation - "You know how there are a lot of ladies who are called Mommy? Well, there are lots of teachers who are called Maitresse." That seemed to help, for now anyway.
I am thankful that they didn't ask me how the baby got into Mme G. or how it will get out!
1 comment:
I love this story! You can almost hear them thinking, "Don't you understand?!" Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. Wow! Two sets of twins! I am glad they are doing well! I look forward to reading more on you blog.
Post a Comment