Thursday, March 19, 2009

More moving stuff

Some days I just have to wonder - why is it that things seem to go wrong when you have the least amount of time to deal with them?

This week has been chock full of stuff to do. Some of it move related, some of it just daily life stuff. Today's stuff had to do with the car we are trying to sell. The silly car decided that it needed a service call. Just great when one is trying to sell said car. Even better when one's husband is out of commission for making the necessary arrangements for the car to be serviced, and the wife has almost ZERO car-related French vocabulary.

Thank the Heavens for patient French people. I knew I'd never make it through a phone call to the dealership. I just don't know enough words about car parts to handle that. My choice was to go to the dealership where I could show someone the idiot light if all else failed. I walked into the dealership on Monday morning, and spoke with the nicest lady. She was able to figure out very quickly what I was trying to explain, without having to go to the car for me to show her. She knew just what needed to be done, and quickly had me set up with an appointment for this morning. And she did all this with a smile! I suddenly felt 10x better.

Then I picked up the Misses from school. My plans for today were suddenly up in the air. It seems that the teachers were going to strike again. I think I understand what is going on, and I agree with the reasons that they are stiking. I wouldn't want to face massive cuts in the budget that would lead to losing teacher's aides positions either, but why THIS Thursday? What would I do with the kids? Should I change the appointment? ARGH!!

Here is Miss S's response - Mommy, just pack some coloring books and we'll go too.

So I did, and we did, and it went just fine. The car is now much happier. It has a new spark plug and is running like a champ. The kids are happy because they got to have an adventure instead of just sitting at home today, and one more thing is checked off the list.

And the sun is shining again!

3 comments:

Dig said...

Sark plug? That's it? Excellent news!

Mom24 said...

Glad it all worked out in the end. I wonder if you'll miss struggling with the language when you move back?

Lindsay said...

How wonderful is it that your daughters are so contented by the simple things! I think what's even better is that it was their idea and they stuck to it!