I keep having all kinds of new adventures with this move. It has been a challenge for my French, and my confidence. Today was nothing new. Sort of.
Today, I had a meeting with a man from the management company that handles our house. This was a meeting to determine what we would need to do to get the house ready for us to move out. Now, we've already met with the packers, so this wasn't about packing. It was all about repairs that might need to be done.
I spent a good bit of yesterday cleaning the house. I moved stuff out of the kitchen to give a really good mopping (YUCK!!), moved arounf toys and more to make the tile floors sparkle. I scrubbed the bathrooms. I scrubbed the walls with my Magic Eraser. I wore myself out. I thought the house looked pretty good.
At 10 AM, I had quiet music playing. I was prepared to offer something to drink. I had my list of questions. I was ready!
And he was late.
And he barely looked at the house. I had to stop him from leaving twice to ask questions. I felt like I had to drag him into the bathroom to look at the hole in the door. Even more surprising, he said it was the management company's fault that the hole was there because they never installed a doorstop. Less than 15 minutes after walking in my door, he was gone.
That was so NOT what I expected. I have heard all kinds of stories about how difficult the management company has been to other expats. I took my list of stuff the company said I needed to do to my French instructor, and she had me prepared for the worst.
And I got Mr. "House looks good. Have a nice flight." WHAT?!
He left and I immediately went over to our neighbors' house. They had stopped by yesterday to chat, and had reassured me that it would go just fine. They even assured me that they would be home if I had any problems. I could just pop over and get help from them. Imagine their surprise when I showed up at the door with the news that all was good. Instead of having to help me out with the management company guy, they were able to chat with me about cooking. How cool is that?!
Oh, and the sun is shining in a clear blue sky. Glorious!
4 comments:
It's absolutely surprising sometimes, isn't it? The things we are most anxious about in this strange land seem to always be the things that go the smoothest and visa versa. I'm glad all went well.
And at least your house is spic and span. Mine could use some of that...
I'm glad it went so well for you! It's funny how we want things to live up to our expectations and are a bit disappointed when they don't. Whatever those expectations may be. I hope everything else you have to do goes just as smoothly!
What a good adventure. Yeah! Something to cross off your to do list. :-)
Glad it went well. Carolyn had a similar experience. Count your blessings!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment