Sunday, February 3, 2008

The things kids say

Last night I heard my husband ask the girls if they wanted to read stories. I did not hear the rest of the conversation, but did catch a comment from my husband shortly after. He was a little bemused. Evidently when he asked the girls if they would like for him to read a story to them, he received a resounding "NO!" He then asked if they wanted to help fold the laundry to which I heard the cries of "YESSS!" as they came hurtling out of their room in search of washcloths and towles to fold.

Miss M and I recently had a conversation about her wardrobe. She was explaining that she was getting too big for her clothes and would need to pass them down to her sister. I asked her what she would wear if she gave Miss S her clothes. "Nothing." Hmmm ... I tried to explain that it is not socially acceptable, even in France, to go to school without clothes on. "No, Mommy. I won't go to school naked. You'll have to buy me new things." Oohhh.

The girls keep telling us about all of the things that they will do when they are "bigger than" us. Evidently they will bake cakes themselves as they will be allowed to use the stove and oven (will they also do the dishes or will that remain my job?). They will get to drive the car, and have informed us that we will need to buy them a car. And they will go to work like Daddy does, hence the need for the car (but if they are working can't they buy their own cars?).

This weekend is the weekend for the annual wine festival held at the community center near our house. It is a 4-day affair with some 400+ vendors selling wine, cheese, wine, sausage, wine, chocolate, linens, a little crystal, and wine. We got to go for 2 sessions this year. We concentrated on stocking the cave (sort of like a wine refrigerator but better) on Friday. We got to visit the ladies from our favorite winery, as well as exploring lots of other types of wine. Saturday we concentrated on Champagnes. We learned last year to try to go during the lunch lull, and it paid off this year. I feel like we got more attention, and better explanations this year (or my French just might be better so that I understood more), and it was more fun. I cannot wait to start selecting wines to go with the meals on my weekly menu! Speaking of which ...

3 comments:

RHB said...

ooh- champagnes!!!!!!! let's break out some at playgroup this Wednesday! :)

Monica said...

Too cute!! Thanks for sharing those stories...they made my night!

I'm glad you had a good time at the wine tasting festival.

Dig said...

Community center?!?!!? Steph, it's a huge freakin' arena!!!! LOL