Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A change of plans

I just got news that my dear husband is being sent to Japan on business for 2 weeks. We knew when we took this assignment that he would have to travel to Japan regularly to work with customers. I have been feeling VERY lucky that we have not been separated for more than a couple of weeks (total) so far, and we have been over here for just about 18 months. His project load has recently increased. So has the demand for his presence in Japan. I am not looking forward to being without him for so long.

There is an upside, I guess. The more he travels to Japan, the more frequent flier miles he earns. The more he earns, the more likely he is to receive upgrades when flying, and the more likely we are to get upgrades when we travel with him. I will gladly trade those economy class seats for business (or, dare I say it, maybe even first class) seats for those trans-Atlantic flights.

Now, how is this a change of plans? I get to make whatever I want, and that I think the girls will eat, for dinner for 2 weeks! In general I don't mind accommodating my husband's dietary choices, but I get to branch out! And I just bought our first bag of charcoal briquettes of the season today. I think I see some grilled fish in my future!

A "funny" note - The stores here are very seasonal with their merchandise, even more so than in the US. You cannot go into a store and buy charcoal at just any time of the year (a bummer when we have had such a mild winter). When the charcoal does finally arrive in the stores, you have to buy what you want for the season because they do not restock. When a store sells out of a seasonal item, they are out. It seems kind of weird. Anyway, I have started stocking up on charcoal so that we can enjoy grilling on any pleasant night.

By the way - any advice from those of you who have dealt with traveling spouses would be appreciated. I have 2 4-year-olds to prepare fro Daddy being gone, and my own sanity to secure. This is our longest separation yet. Thank you in advance.

2 comments:

Dig said...

You'll be at playgroup tomorrow? I'll hand you the manual... ;)

It'll be fine. We'll talk...

Monica said...

Just get into a routine and you'll be great!! You can call me anytime you need to talk when he's away.