I think I made the best pot of French onion soup that I have ever made tonight (thanks in part to AuntB). I used a recipe in my International Women's Club cookbook (below), and it was fantastic! I ate 2 bowls worth! If you like French onion soup, I'd definitely recommend this recipe. I want to try to adapt this to the crock pot so that I do not spend so much time in the kitchen. Any suggestions?
French Onion Soup (Le Cordon Bleu Complete Cooking Techniques)
450 grams onion, slices thin (about 5 medium onions)
75 grams butter
1.5 liters beef stock
200 ml dry white wine (I used Sancerre)
1 bouquet garni
salt and freshly ground pepper
Sweat the onions in the butter in a heavy-based pan for about 20 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
Add stock, wine, bouquet garni, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil, stirring.
Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove bouquet garni and check seasoning.
Serves 4-6
Note: eat as is or put in soup bowls with a thick slice of French bread on top. Sprinkle with cheese (we like Parmesan, but Gruyere is traditional) and broil to melt.
1 comment:
I love French Onion Soup! I am sure your recipe is much more authentic than my midwestern version (from Famous Barr's, a St. Louis department store). I cook the onions WAY longer though; they are pretty much mush by the time it's all over.
Post a Comment