Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ice Skating, French style

I recently had the opportunity to take the Misses ice skating for the very first time. Our friends Queen JK and Princess MK had tried out the ice skating place and told us that we all needed to give it a go. It was getting on into our second week of school vacation, and the Mommies were gettign a little overwhelmed with entertaining the kids, so we decided to give it a shot.


What a GREAT idea!


The skating rink provided skates and helments for the kids as well as cones for them to use to help get their balance. The kids would push the cones around the ice until they were ready to let go and try on their own. I thought it was a good system.


The first picture is of me trying to help Dig's kids, Princess and Mini-Husband, as well as Miss S get their balance while hanging on a cone. The second is Mini-Husband trying to get his feet under him. He had a tough time, but once he got hold of a cone, he was happy. The chic in the purple jacket in the background is Dig's Princess, about 30 minutes after hitting the ice for the first time ever. Go Princess!

Here we have Queen JK and Princess MK helping Miss M get it figured out. She did end up skating on her own with Queen JK, but not with me. Of course, the second picture is of me with my girls.

Miss S was seriously in her element. She got going with a cone and I could barely keep up. She had the best time telling her Daddy that she got some good speed with the cone. I think she will be happy to try without the next time we go shating. There might be some roller blades in her future too.

I am glad that we had our first experience ice skating with friends. It was so cool to switch off kids with Dig and Queen JK (gotta get a new name for her). Dig, being pregnant, took care of the off-ice duties, which included taking all of these great pictures. Queen JK took my more challenging skater and made sure that she had some fun. I just bounced around with the other beginning skaters and made sure everyone was happy. Oh, I can't forget about the Queen's sons. Everytime I turned around, one of them was picking up Miss S or offering advice to Miss M. SO cool!!

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

That is fabulous. I love the idea of the cones. What a great idea. Personally? I think I would like a big walker. ;-)

Lindsay said...

How much fun! I'd love to go again; I've only been once, and man does it hurt your leg muscles! I'm glad they had a good time!