I have had a very interesting adventure this week. I like to knit. I have had some kind of project going during most of our time here. You'd think that I had ventured into the French knitting world based on that last statement. NOT SO! I have purchased all of my yarn and needles in the US and imported them. It hasn't really crossed my mind to even look for stuff here ... until this week.
I recently finished a baby blanket for Dig's Whoopsie. She was so thrilled with it, and so bummed about the lack of fun choices for baby hats here, that he asked me to make a hat for her to tke to the hospital for Whoopsie's soon-to-be-born head. No problem, I said, thinknig that Icould run out to the fabric store and find a wealth of yarn and needles.
There I go thinking again.
I did find some fun yarn. I did not find the needles that I needed. The selectino was not great, and I had no idea what I was looking for. In the US, the needles are generally marked with the American size as well as the metric size. Here it is all metric. Again, no problem, right?
NO! I had patterns that gave only the American size of needles. I bought some that I thought would work, and was wrong. I hit the Internet to figure out what I did need. Then I sent an e-mail to a local knitter that I know. Between those 2 resources, I was armed and ready to go.
Today, I went to a store that specializes in yarn and sewing supplies, but NOT fabric. The lovely ladies in the store took a look at my notes,and helped me find the exact needles that I wanted. We had a little trouble with the crochet hook though. Evidently the French do not use the size noted in the pattern. I chose a size larger and will make it work.
I am psyched to get started on the hats for Whoopsie! I am exicted that I found what I wanted. And I am bummed that I didn't go looking for French knitting needles 2 years ago. Imagine what kinds of projects I could have done if I had shopped local!
5 comments:
Very fun! I am so jealous of your abilities. :) I can make a pretty good baby blanket, but I have no idea how to make anything else. Maybe one of these days...
I can't wait until you get here so we can spend some time knitting together. I don't know if you will be able to go, but I have found a knitting group not far from home that meets every Monday night. I hope you take photos of your projects. Are you a member of Ravelry? I am and have learned so much there.
You rock!!! I'm so glad you are willing to take on this project! Whoopsie's head and I thank you! XOXO
I bet the hats will be so sweet! And I guess she will be needing them even in April or May in St. Jean. We wouldn't want that courant d'air to touch that pretty little head!
I would love to learn to knit/crochet. It's on my to-do list for the year. Show us pictures of projects when you get some finished!
Post a Comment