I had a unique opportunity to spend a little quality time alone with Miss S this morning. OK, a lot of quality time. She was up about 90 minutes earlier than her sister today. We shared a nice breakfast of Craquinette crackers and milk while watching the snow fall, again. These crackers are what I call the French version of Pop Tarts, and we eat them every morning. We chatted about how the toys will fit in the shipping container. This has been a big concern ever since Daddy and I were overheard talking about the fact that we cannot put wine or food in the container. Hopefully I answered her questions well enough that she is no longer concerned.
After a nice breakfast, Miss S asked to snuggle with me. Like I was going to pass up that opportunity! She climbed into my lap to show me the pretty pink cake that goes with their princess castle. We chatted about the pictures on the top of the cake. I hadn't ever noticed that one side of the decoration has a blond prince and a brunette princess. The other side has a blond princess and a brunette prince. Interesting.
Right after this discussion, Miss S noticed that I had been reading a magazine. It happened to be opened to some pretty pictures, suggestions for Christmas decorations that one could make with one's children. "Mommy, that's a pretty picture." That was all it took to start a great conversation about Christmas decorations and some of our traditions. Then we turned the page to see some ideas for holiday baking. And she was off! She was talking so fast that she got all tongue-tied. Quite cute.
We looked through about half of the magazine together. We picked some pages to mark for saving (and yes, the decoration and baking pages will be saved), and talked about all kinds of things.
I did have a "moment" as we paged past an article about what to do in a fire. Miss S asked me what the article was about and I told her. I expected questions and discussion but she was quiet for a minute then turned the page. I am sure it will come back up in a couple of hours, days or weeks. Miss S often seems to mull things over, then ask questions when you least expect it. I think that will work in my favor this time as it will give me a chance to talk to Husband so that we can agree on how we will respond to her. So unlike the experience with Miss M.
Part of me wants to stage another opportunity for quality time. I so enjoyed chatting with Miss S this morning. But I know that I can't do that. It would be forced and not as sincere. It never goes well when I try to have these moments. I love that my 5-year-old can still teach me stuff!
My life is so much better when I just roll with it.
2 comments:
I thought you did very well with your conversation with Miss M. You're too hard on yourself. :)
What a lovely morning--you are so right, you can't create those moments, but you certainly made the most of the one you had. How fun.
Thanks for the link on the crackers--what kinds of foods/products will you miss from France when you return home?
I love those moments when my daughter finally slows down enough to let me cuddle with her. Those precious moments are the best!
Post a Comment