Friday, June 5, 2009

A good day in a different way

This post meanders a bit. Sorry for the rambling, just had some thoughts to process. :)

Today I had a small victory in the moving back to the US process. The dents and dings in the furniture got fixed, and by a gentleman who lives not far from my house! I am all for keeping my money local, so I was very excited to find someone just a few miles away who was qualified to do the work. And he did very nice work. I wouldn't be able to find most of the places without the help of the Post-It notes that I placed this morning. The most impressive fix was a drawer pull that had a chunk taken out of it. I'd never figure out which one was damaged without knowing beforehand. I am tempted to remove all of the sticky notes before Husband gets home to see if he can find the damage.

The funny thing is that this one small accomplishment has really made me happy. I think I feel like I am in control of something instead of feeling like everything is out of control. The whole kitchen issue has topped out the stress meter so Husband is handling it. The work did not get started yesterday as planned because no one is taking responsibility, and Husband (with my agreement) will not allow the work to start without an agreement about who is paying for it. I just keep telling myself that it will get done, and it will be beautiful again ... someday. In the meantime, I am making a game out of the changes in the floor as it dries out on its own, or absorbs more water thanks to the plentiful rain we've had (soooo good for the baby grass).

This whole change of attitude has gotten me to thinking (or maybe the thinking brought on the change of attitude). This all leads back to all of my questions about/for God. I'm in a good place now, but I couldn't help thinking "If God only gives you what you can handle, why does he give us stress only to ask us to give it back to him? Why can't He just keep the stress and let us be happy?" If the idea is to get us to talk to Him, I'd really rather spend the time talking about fun stuff like what a good day I had yesterday, rather than spend the time asking Him to take away the stress. It is just one of those quandaries which brought me to a realization. I am trying so hard to UNDERSTAND God rather that just accepting God as He is. I tell my children to accept people for who they are regardless of skin color, background, or beliefs, and I truly try to to practice what I preach. SO if I am doing that for humans, shouldn't I do it for God?

Here's what I came up with - Life is good. God is Great! And I have a really wonderful life. Maybe my stress is a reminder to talk to God about ANYTHING and everything, good and bad. And maybe I need to trust that, as the ServPro motto says "It will be okay!"

As for yesterday, the Misses and I organized the playroom without any arguments, and Husband and I found a home for the rug we bought in France that I absolutely love. This means there is more room in the garage, and in the playroom. Also, all of the blinds for every room except the playroom and the Misses' bedroom have arrived and are waiting to be installed. Anyone else see a installation project in the near future? Lastly, I have an appointment with a trainer at the Y tomorrow to get myself started on an exercise program. Lots of good things going on despite that silly kitchen.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

4 comments:

Mom24 said...

God's a tricky subject, isn't it? I love the idea of just accepting God rather than trying to understand though. That really resonates with me.

I'm so happy for you about your furniture. Wonderful news.

I would be wanting to bang my head against the wall about the kitchen. You are right, eventually it will get fixed and it will be beautiful.

Your Y sounds wonderful. Did the misses get in the program for tonight? Whatever you do, I hope it's a lovely start to the weekend.

Monica said...

You have lots of good questions. I like the conclusion you came to about just accepting God as He is. It's in our human nature to want to understand everything, even those things that are pretty un-understandable. It is nice to hear all the good things that are happening in and around your home. The Y program sounds wonderful!

Dig said...

Right on, Steph. I need those words today. xoxo

RHB said...

Got a book for you- called The God I Don't Understand. :)

Glad you're making progress despite the kitchen challenges!