Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Air france flight 447

My heart goes out to the family and friends of those lost on the Air France plane that went down. I did not know anyone on the plane, but my friends and husband did. That does not make the loss any less tragic.

Yesterday morning I was still hoping that it wasn't true. I was waiting for the news release that would tell me it was all okay, that the plane landed in some obscure place and everyone was fine. Barring that, that there were survivors somewhere. My heart broke when I realized that it really was true.

And I kept thinking "What if my husband had been on that plane?" He just got back from Canada. So many other people I know have to travel regularly for their jobs. How does one get on a plane again without thinking "Will it be me this time?"

I am thankful that we are once again stateside with no plane rides in the future. I am thankful that my friends and family are safe, and that most everyone is staying put for the time being.

And I am grieving for those who are gone.

3 comments:

Mom24 said...

It's just truly awful. I feel so badly for all the friends and family--your husband included. Such a horrible tragedy.

What a reminder to all of us to try and live each day to the fullest.

Dig said...

The whole thing is so surreal. Puts things in perspective though, doesn't it? Hope you are well...

Lindsay said...

I can't imagine the pain these families are feeling. My husband occasionally travels for business cross-country, and even though he's done it many times it still makes me nervous. He always tells me not to worry, but you can't help but do it.