We have these great French neighbors. They absolutely do not fit the stereotype of any French person I have ever heard. They have been patient with my stumbling French. They are fantastic with the girls. They love my dog. They have invited us for dinner twice in the past year. It has been pretty cool.
I have wanted to invite them for dinner, but I was always worried that they wouldn't like what I might cook. I finally bit the bullet and invited them over for an American dinner. And they proved to me that I needn't have worried.
We started with chips and salsa, roasted red pepper dip with veggies, and Kir Royales. Here was my first cultural lesson - A Kir is a type of drink served with the appetizers. It is made of wine and a fruit liquor. Kir Royales are made with champagne while Kirs are made with white wine. I always thought it was the type of liquor that was used not the type of wine. Husband thought just the opposite. Guess I have to give him the honors on this one.
For dinner, I used some of my favorite Mesquite marinade on pork chops which Husband grilled. We also had a side salad and potatoes and onions on the grill. We served dinner with a Chateauneuf-Du-Pape wine. We cooked 8 chops, and the neighbor's son ate 3 of them! Guess THAT American dish was a hit. Another cultural difference - we make a tossed salad with peppers, cheese, carrots, tomatoes, etc. The French eat lettuce as a salad. Just lettuce. Hmm ...
Dessert was the best. Husband and the girls made their "famous" marble pound cake. It was perfect! The neighbors have asked for the recipe. We have been working on that for a couple of months as the girls' teacher from last year wants it as do a couple of people that Husband works with.
Throughout the whole evening we talked and talked. Okay, so I did a lot of listening, but I am getting better at taking part in the conversation. We talked about wine, food, wine and kids, politics, pets, and so much more. And we ate. And in the end, they invited us over for duck. What a perfect night!
3 comments:
Perhaps I am a bit envious. Our neighbors are less than friendly, but I suppose I have not been very neighborly either. Our neighbor tends to drink a little too much wine and get a bit crazy, crazy with his horn, his Ricola horn. Sounds like he's calling in the goats from the Alps.
Good for you though on making the effort.
They aren't the stereotype, they are the norm. ;)
Glad you had a fun and successful American dinner with your friends! Kir Royales are my FAVORITE- last night I had one with violette- yeah, the flower! It was delicious!
Post a Comment