Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The First Day of School

I am okay with surprises. They can be lots of fun, but they have their time and place. The first morning back to school is not the best time or place. We arrived at school on time despite Miss M's best efforts to stay home, and joined the throng of parents and children at the door of the school. Everyone was looking on the classroom lists to figure out where to deposit their child/children. I quickly found Miss S's name, but couldn't find here sister's name. I blamed it on the list not being alphabetical. I read the first list three times, standing in the way of other Moms and Dads waiting to drop their kids off. I finally gave up and looked at the next list. There she was, right in the middle of the list. I suddenly felt like I had a lump of rock in my gut. The girls were to be in different classes, and I had done nothing to prepare them. I hadn't known. Oh boy. I told the girls the news.

We made it to the boxes where the girls dropped off their snacks. I had to go back to the door to make sure we put the right snack in the right teacher's box. I was pretty rattled.

We made it to the hall where the classrooms are located. It was packed! And I had no idea which girl was in which classroom. And the girls were asking where the hooks for their jackets were. I had no clue. Luckily the teachers had labeled the hooks with the students names so we just had to look. We found Miss S's hook first so she went to class first. That's when it all went south. She became attached by Velcro. The teacher and I literally had to peel her off of me. Oh boy.

Onto the next classroom with a rather pragmatic Miss M. She took it all in stride. She wasn't pleased to be separated from her sister, but seemed to understand that they would see each other outside during playtime, and at lunch. She also picked up on the fact that some of her buddies from last year were in her new class. The day was looking up.

I can't wait to pick them up this afternoon and hear all about how the day went. I know there will be good stuff as well as complaints, just as I know it will all be okay. As a matter of fact, I am convinced that it will all be great. It will just take a few days.

2 comments:

kim said...

Oh, that's a rough first day. I'm not one for surprises of any sort really. And the kind you had at school with the girls doesn't sound like much fun at all. Hope their days were good once they settled in and I can't wait to hear more!

Mom24 said...

I can just imagine how heart wrenching that must have been. Hope the girls have a good day and you do too.