Monday, May 12, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

It is hard to believe that today is Monday. My husband is home from work, and we are trying to recover from our latest adventure. It will actually be about 8 weeks before we get to go on vacation again. Gotta love France, if you want to travel but not get anything productive done!

Anyway ... back to planning our meals. There were some requests for some favorite meals for this week. I love that the kids are getting into planning what we eat, although it can be a battle is the Misses do not agree on a meal. Here goes -

Monday - steaks, salad and wine in honor of Mother's Day
Tuesday - tacos by request
Wednesday - chicken, hopefully on the grill; if not - creamy chicken with Lowry's and Parmesan cheese
Thursday - Ham and something
Friday - French Dip sandwiches
Saturday - marinated duck breast, salad, bread, roasted garlic (if it goes with the marinade), and wine
Sunday - grilled sausages with peppers and onions, ham for the kids

I am looking forward to getting back into planning our meals, especially as more fresh produce becomes available, and we can do more grilling. I am on the lookout for interesting grill recipes if anyone wants to share!

Here are 2 new recipes that I found in Annabel Karmel's "First Meals." I was looking for some new dips to serve to friends last weekend, and stumbled on these. They are written for children 9-12 months, but were a hit at our party with the adults. The kids didn't even try them!

1. Red Pepper Dip and Vegetable Fingers

1 small red pepper, halved and deseeded
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 ripe tomato, skinned, deseeded, and chopped
1 1/4 cups soft cream cheese

Raw veggie shapes (carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers, kohlrabi, or turnips)

* Roast the red pepper, then peel and roughly chop
* Saute shallot until softened but not colored
* Combine all the ingredients and blend together until smooth

2. Creamy Avocado Dip (Guacamole for kids)

1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
1/4 cup soft cream cheese
1 tbsp snipped chives
1 ripe tomato, skinned, deseeded, and chopped

* Steam veggies until tender (I used raw veggies)
* Scoop out avocado flesh, and mash until smooth
* Mix in other ingredients
** For adults - add lemon juice, seasoning, chopped cilantro, and a little chopped chili

Find more great meal ideas on Menu Plan Monday.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

That is one of the things I have trouble with: planning a menu. I love to see what other people are making!

kim said...

Hello, hello, blogging friend. You've been tagged. Check out my blog and follow the directions.