Monday, September 8, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I never got my steaks or sausages this past week. Oh well. We did have some rocking pork chops last night though. Paired with a nice salad, fresh bread, and roasted garlic, it made for a nice end to the weekend. This week I will be trying a roasted red pepper soup (recipe below) for the first time. A friend made this for a Girls and Mommies luncheon back in the spring, and I really liked it. Hopefully I can do the recipe justice.

Here's the rest of the week:
Monday - tacos
Tuesday - Chef salad with grilled duck
Wednesday - mac'n cheese and ham
Thursday - Roasted Red Pepper Soup, salad, bread for the adults, homemade Nuggets for the kids
Friday - Ham, gratin dauphinois
Saturday - baked potato bar
Sunday - something on the grill

I hope you all have a great week full of good eats. If you want some new menu ideas, please visit Menu Plan Monday.

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

8 red bell peppers (about 2.5 pounds)
5 black pepercorns
3 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
2t olive oil
2c diced onion
1T minced fresh garlic
4c chicken broth
3T white wine vinegar
1/4t tabasco sauce
1/2t salt
1/4t fresh ground blmack pepper
2T chopped chives

Preheat broiler.

Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet, flatten with hand. Broil for 15 minutes or until blackened. Remove, place in zip top plastic bag, seal and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and chop.

Place peppercorns, thyme; and bay leaf on a double layer of cheeseclothe. Gather edges of cheeseclothe and tie securely.

Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 15 minutes or until onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers, cheesecloth bag, broth; vinegar and hot pepper sauce to pan. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard cheesecloth bag, stir in salt and pepper. Place half of bell pepper mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place clean towel over opening and blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining soup. Spinkle with chives.

(I then also a a dollop of liquid creme fraiche.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds so delicious!

DEHausfrau said...

Your soup puts my menu this week to shame. Now it is my turn to want to eat at your house. BTW - love the vacation pictures, especially the Cabot shots.

Renee said...

I love roasted red peppers so that soup sounds fantastic!

And I really wish I could find creme fraiche in the store here - making my own just isn't as good and is so much more hassle.

RHB said...

Loved that red pepper soup yesterday! Thanks again!