Monday, May 19, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I had to look back at last week's post to see what I was supposed to have cooked! We did pretty well except that we didn't grill as much as I had hoped. We shifted the grilled duck breast to Sunday night's dinner, and we all really enjoyed it. My Husband has suggested that we have back-up meals in the freezer for the nights that we plan to grill but Mother Nature has different plans. I guess that means I need to make some freezer meals! I have been trying to stuff the freezer with good things to grill.

One of my grill season staples is marinade. We generally buy pork chops and chicken breasts in bulk, separate them into meal-size bunches, put them in Ziploc bags and cover with marinade. The meats absorb the marinade as they freeze and as they thaw. Time saver! One hint - make sure to label the back with the kind of marinade. That helps if you are forgetful like me.

We also make hamburgers in bulk and freeze those. I mix mine with Italian seasoning mix (or Herbes de Provence here in France), Worcestershire sauce, and minced onion. I form the patties using my Tupperware hamburger maker then put two at a time in a Ziploc bag and freeze. When we are ready to grill I pull out a bag and we have enough for the grown-ups. The twins haven't decided that they like hamburgers yet.

This week's menu has only one recipe that is new to us. I got the recipe for Kikoman Chicken from Tiffany, and I am looking forward to trying it.

Sunday - Grilled duck breast marinated in McCormick's Montreal Steak Marinade, salad, grilled zucchini
Monday - Cornflake crusted turkey breast cutlets, mashed potatoes, peas
Tuesday - Frying pan meal from the freezer section of the grocery store
Wednesday - Grilled pork chops marinated in McCormick's Mesquite Marinade, potatoes and onions on the grill (Husband's grandmother's recipe - see below), peas or broccoli
Thursday - Kikoman Chicken, Corn, rice or pasta
Friday - French Dip Sandwiches (leftovers) or dinner out
Saturday - Grilled sausages, peppers, and onions, pork chop leftovers for kids, french fries
Sunday - Grilled steak, salad, bread, roasted garlic

Potatoes and Onions on the Grill

3-4 medium to large baking potatoes
2 medium onions
salt
pepper
butter
water
Olive oil (optional)

Peel and cube the potatoes. Soak in water.
Peel and dice the onions.
Drain potatoes.
Put potatoes and onions in a sprayed or greased foil baking dish. Season with salt and pepper then top with dabs of butter. Add a little water.
Cover with aluminum foil.
Place on grill and cook for approximately 30 minutes (cooking time will vary depending on how much you cook and your grill)

I hope you all enjoy a good cooking week. Check out more menu ideas at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

4 comments:

ChoosingJoy said...

Hey Stephanie...thanks for your comment. We love to grill as well and do lots of it year round! I am going to have to try out those potatoes on the grill...they sound yummy!!! Are there geocaches there in France? We enjoy geocaching....always ready for an adventure!

Kathy

Meegan said...

Thanks for your comment - it's nice to meet you! Looking at your menus makes me need to put some grilling nights on my own menus for the summer. I'll have to borrow some of your meal ideas!

Sherida said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. The Baked (parmesan) Ranch Chicken is one of my all-time favorite recipes. The breading makes enough for about 8 chicken breasts, so I usually make it, then take out enough for 2 and refridgerate the rest. Then it is a great quick fix when I have rushed day.

Here is a link to the recipe http://www.recipegoldmine.com/meatchickbake/baked-ranch-chicken.html

I hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

Great grilling ideas! I started taking over the grill late last summer (much to my husband's dismay...) and I am always on the lookout for new things. I love the potatoes/onions idea, I will try it as soon as it goes above 50 degrees F in Michigan!