Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lots of things have not been going my way as far as this new house is concerned. And I have been way too caught up in the negative. Some cool positive things have been forgotten. Here's a short list of the GOOD things that have been going on:

*We finally ordered the window treatments! There are 24 windows in this house plus a double French door. I absolutely love all of the light, but I was feeling a bit like I was living in a fishbowl, especially at night. We had been looking at fabric samples and taking the measurements for a couple of weeks, and were finally prepared to sit down at the computer on Monday night. I spent about an hour ordering a variety of blinds and shades for 23 of the 24 windows. Those should start arriving any old day.

*We bought a new grill last weekend, and had the opportunity to enjoy our first barbecue last night. Husband prefaced the meal with "Remember that it always takes a couple of tries before I get back into the swing of grilling." Yeah, well, if it is going to get better than last night, I am NEVER cooking again! We had chicken breasts that had been marinated in McCormick's Grill Mates Mesquite marinade, roasted garlic, French bread, and salad (The kids ate rice instead of salad), and a crisp white wine. The chicken and garlic were cooked beautifully. A salad always tastes good, and the wine was one we'd have again. Tonight's feast is set to be grilled NY strip steaks, onions and potatoes on the grill, and something green (probably peas). I cannot wait!!

*One of my favorite grocery stores had chicken breasts, boneless pork chops AND NY strip steaks on sale this week (almost all of the meat choices that I like to keep on hand). I so totally blew my grocery budget, but I bought about $150 worth of meat for $90 and I won't be buying meat for a while. I now have a minimum of 17 meals worth of meat in the freezer just from this shopping trip. Hopefully it will help even out the budget. I'd love to go back to buy more and truly stock that lovely new freezer that we have, but I have to be realistic.

*I learned about a resource for meat that looks like a good possibility for us. Angel Food Ministries offers several meat or vegetable packages at low prices. I am a little unsure of the quality but will try once to find out. I also found out about a box food sale that happens every other Saturday. Something like $7 for a level box full of all that you can fit into it. Definitely going to check this one out.

*We have slots for the Misses in the Y's Parents' Night Out (PNO) this coming Friday night! We were wait listed last time, and were given priority this time. I am a happy Mommy! Don't have a plan for the adults yet, but I have a few days. :)

*We spent an hour playing in our community pool today. FUN!

*I am regaining a cabinet in the kitchen as I write. Husband is fixing the wine fridge/storage system and will put the wine in it when he is done. I may finally get all of the cookware off of the counters and into cabinets! Oh, and he and Miss M installed a double bin, pull-out garbage and recycling system last week. I LOVE it!

So, while I have been caught up in all of the aggravations about the kitchen, I have had some pretty good things happen this week. Things worth taking time to think about and write about. The kitchen will be fixed one of these days. I won't have another chance to enjoy our first barbecue in the new house (unless I beat Husband to the leftovers). It's all about priorities, right?

5 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Sounds like he got back into great grilling quickly! Glad to hear that you had some positive things happen this week!

Mom24 said...

Pictures...please!

Very exciting about the window treatments. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous.

A new grill? I'm so jealous. How fun. What do you do with potatoes and onions on the grill? That sounds wonderful.

How do you store things in the freezer and maintain their quality? I'd like to be stocking up more, but I do feel I compromise quality a lot. I've been considering getting a vacuum system. I just wondered if you use one.

Have a wonderful time Friday night. I'm jealous of that too. ;-)

Hope the floor mess is cleared up soon.

kim said...

Freezer? What's a freezer? :)
I am so excited for your new adventures. Glad things are coming together...albeit probably slower than you'd prefer.

Monica said...

Wow!! Everything sounds so exciting!!! I am a bit envious of your grilling, too!

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you made a "what's making me happy list." I know how easy it is to let the rough spots in life to bring you down, so it's good to sit back and reflect on the good things in life.

That's great about the new grill! We need one so bad and have had one on the list for years. Maybe someday...

Have a good week!