Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Still waiting, but very worried

Well, the nice man from ServePro spent about an hour doing his assessment, and it is worse that I thought. The good news is that the hardwood flooring in the hallway just outside the kitchen does not seem to be affected. The bad news is that we MAY need to vacate our house for a few days.

It seems that the moisture readings (cool instrument for that BTW) indicate that the water seeped about 4 feet in front of and behind the fridge. This means that our living room is also impacted. There is also "surface growth" (a.k.a. mold and it's buddies) so that we will probably need some kind of vapor barrier and negative pressure treatment to get rid of it. This will involve pulling up flooring and probably some of the base cabinets as well as cutting out some drywall, getting rid of anything that has mold on it, then drying out the areas and putting the flooring back in (I am assuming new flooring for this but will be sure to find out).

Lovely, huh?

Good thing Gram and Gramp have a guest room!

4 comments:

Mom24 said...

That was the other thing that Mark said--that you should insist on EVERYTHING being replaced that shows any sign of damage, mold or moisture, and that you should move out while they're doing the work. Sorry.

loonyhiker said...

This sounds so awful! I'm so sorry to hear that. But I hope it all gets fixed and back to normal quickly!

Dig said...

Oh, Stephanie!!!! I am so sorry to hear about all this!!!! Hope you get some good resolution QUICK!

Lindsay said...

I hope that everything is going well. I can't believe that something like this has happened so soon. Was it something that happened as a result of the builders?