The process has continued this week. We closed on the new place on Thursday, and have been working on it everyday since. Last weekend, Husband painted a very nice looking epoxy coating on the garage floor. On Tuesday, all of the "Stuff" that we had stored here in the US came back to us. Wednesday, my good friends from the old neighborhood spent the day unpacking kitchen stuff, washing it, and helping me find homes for it all. Thursday the girls and I ran errands. And Friday brought another round of unpacking with friends, and the arrival of my in-laws to see the house. WHEW!
This afternoon, it was just the four of us at the house, and we rocked! We unpacked a little, found homes for stuff, measured windows for new blinds, broke down boxes, and I don't know what else. It was great! Even the Misses got in on the act.
I discovered Wednesday that they LOVE to unpack stuff. Any stuff. Give them a wad of paper with something inside of it and they are content. For about 5 seconds until it is unwrapped and they are ready for the next thing. They have been very careful, and very helpful. Kind of cool to have kids who are old enough to truly be helpful.
Today was no exception. They really wanted to help us. We didn't unpack much today, so they didn't get to unwrap stuff, but they did get to help with the boxes. It kept them busy for almost an hour. They would carefully remove the tape from a box, make a pile of the used tape, and every 3 boxes or so, run out to the garage where Daddy had a box that was quickly filling with used tape balls. It was almost a game. Who knew that removing packing tape from broken down boxes could be so entertaining?!
The day got even better when Husband tried to drop off all of the boxes and packing materials at the recycling center. He was "accosted" by a woman on the hunt for packing material. Boy could he help her out! She managed to take most of what was in our Expedition and put it into her Explorer. She even gave him her e-mail address for the next load. It made me feel good that the boxes will get used at least once more. And I bet she makes sure that they get recycled when she's done with them.
I know some of you are waiting for me to post new house pictures, but it will be a while. I want the next picture post to look like we actually live there, and right now, that just isn't the case. Maybe in a week or two after the stuff arrives from France. Stay tuned!
3 comments:
I am so excited for you! It sounds like you are enjoying your new home already! Hope to be home in a few weeks (we are in SD right now). Wish I could be there to help you though.
I definitely want pictures! I'm glad things are going so well. It's wonderful the misses could be so helpful, it really is a nice age, isn't it?
Have fun. :-)
I can't wait to see pictures of your new, settled-in house! I know it must look beautiful! I'm very proud of you for being a fellow recycler. (Is that a word?) It's also great to see your daughters have a zest for the unpacking process. I'm sure it makes things go a lot faster!
Post a Comment