Last week was a lot of fun, food-wise. Husband was in Japan, and the girls helped me make the menu for our bachelorette week. We did fairly well sticking to it with just one major exception. They wanted to help me make quiche on Friday rather than have crispy chicken. No problem! Miss M ended up being the only sous-chef, but she did a great job. We made a quiche with bacon and Cantal cheese. It was yummy. I wish I had gotten a picture of her face when it came out of the oven. She was so proud! She is really getting into helping around the house. Yesterday, she made the bed for Husband and me. It was so sweet. I wonder if she'll dust today? :)
We also made biscuits using Bisquick this week, and shared some with our French neighbors. I had tried to describe what we were making but realized that the French have no comparison to the good old American biscuit. It was a lot of fun to take some over after dinner and share what is one of my favorite comfort foods. They have been so patient and helpful with my stumbling French, and they are very interested in what we see as differences in life here versus life in the US. It just seemed like the right thing to share some Americana. I don't know if our Grandma-Neighbor really liked the biscuits, but she made a big deal about them, and how good they were. It was a fun experience.
This week is a combination of eating from the freezer and a little new stuff. It all depends on the weather and Husband's schedule.
Monday - beef kabobs with grilled onions and peppers (new recipe, see below)
Tuesday - homemade hamburgers, grilled onions, and fries
Wednesday - pork chops, salad, roasted garlic (I hope), bread
Thursday - chef salad with left over turkey and sausage, bread
Friday - make your own white pizza with grilled sausage
Saturday - chicken kabobs, grilled zucchini, onions, and eggplant
Sunday - tacos or steaks with salad and fries (this one depends on whether or not we make it to the store to buy the steaks!)
Marinade for beef kabobs (from an older cookbook - Betty Crocker Red Spoon Collection: Best Recipes for Grilling)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1-2 teaspoons curry powder (I'll go one the lighter side with this for the first time)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
Mix all ingredients; pour over beef cubes. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning 2-3 times. Remove beef and reserve marinade to brush on meat and veggies during grilling.
**Do not put meat and veggies on the same skewers. The veggies do not need as long to cook, and will get overdone if cooked with the meat.
We are a family of 4, with one great dog, who are continuing our adventures stateside.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Menu Plan Monday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You are such a patient mommy! I know that is why you were such a great teacher! When my daughter was in preteens she loved to clean the bathrooms. Her reward would be to get to clean 2 bathrooms! I hated when she grew out of that stage! lol I can imagine what your neighbor thinks about the biscuits. I feel the same way about scones.
Wow, that marinade sounds so good. How great that Miss M got so into the cooking. Munchkin is just starting to show some interest and when I have the time, I've started baking with her. Sigh... enjoy your grill fest!
I loved your biscuit story and cooking with your daughters. Your menu looks delicious! Have a blessed week.
You're so good at letting your girls help you in the kitchen. I need to do better with that.
Also, wanted to let you know that I tagged you in a blog award today.
Yummy, everything looks so good! I can't believe your girls wanted quiche over crispy chicken. They have quite the palates!
Post a Comment