Friday, June 6, 2008

We climbed a volcano!

We live in such a beautiful area. We are surrounded by mountains that used to be active volcanoes. There is one peak in particular that really looks like a volcano. Sometimes I look at it and expect to see smoke billowing from the crater.
The peak in this picture is the tallest in the area, and is topped by a meteorological station. You can drive or hike to the top of that one, and get a really nice view of the area. It has that "classic" volcano look that reminds me of this area's history. And those steps are just a portion of what we climbed to get to the top of our target peak.
Here we are climbing those stairs. The poor dog was panting like crazy by the time we got to the top. It sort of looks like we're climbing steps near the beach doesn't it? Nope, we're on a volcano!
This is a picture looking down into the crater of the volcano. Unfortunately you can't really grasp the immensity of this crater from a picture. It was absolutely incredible to stand on the rim of that crater and look down into what used to be a bubbling cauldron of liquid rock. WOW!
We stopped at the top for a rest, and for Daddy to find a geocache. The girls enjoyed some snack while the dog had a well-deserved rest. We chose a different trail to go back down the mountain, and got an entirely different view. The path going up was fairly open and wide. Going down, we were walking single file most of the time and we were surrounded by trees. It was really interesting.

4 comments:

Monica said...

How cool is that!!! I love the last picture of you, the misses, and Callie...too bad the husband couldn't be in it too, though!

kim said...

How beautiful! I love the amazing hiking here and I am imagining it is similar for you in France as well. Gorgeous creation surrounds!
I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy nature without the rain…we have our ark building supplies out around here. Beautiful pictures!

loonyhiker said...

Wow! This looked wonderful! I wish I could go hiking there! What a gret experience for the kids (and dog too!).

Dig said...

Rock on! I love that hike.