Before I start today's story, I want to clarify that I am not complaining. I am simply relating a new cultural experience that Miss M and I shared today.
We all arrived at school right on time. Everyone was in pretty good moods. There hadn't been any fussing before leaving home. I had my grocery list ready and the menu planned for the week, so I was off to the store as soon as I dropped off the Misses. The Misses were ready to tell their friends all about their birthday weekend. Who could ask for a better start to the week?
It was short lived though. As soon as the Misses darted through the gate into the school courtyard in search of their friends, Miss S's teacher asked to speak to me. Hmm... French first thing in the morning. And she speaks so quickly. Here's how it went, sort of.
Teacher: Do you work?
Me: No.
Teacher: Well, Miss M's teacher won't be here today and we are not sure if we will get a substitute.
Me: Okay. Do you want me to take her with me now?
Teacher: Oh no. Leave her here and we'll see if we get a substitute. You can pick her up at 11:30 if not. Or does she eat in the Cantine?
Me: She eats in the Cantine.
Teacher: Oh. Well, leave her here and we'll call you if we don't get someone in.
Me: Okay. I'll go home and wait for a little while to see if you call.
Teacher: okay. Have a nice day.
I got to the car and began to wonder if I had really understood the whole conversation. As I said, this teacher speaks very quickly. I finally decided that I'd be okay if I went home and waited about 30 minutes before going to the store. Surely the school would know if they were going to get a sub by then.
And wouldn't you know it, I got a call about 10 minutes after walking in the door.
"Madame Taylor? This is Miss S's teacher. Do you understand?"
"Yes."
"We have no teacher for Miss M's class. When can you come get her?"
"I'll be there in 10 minutes."
And I was. She was the first child in her class to be picked up. We did the grocery shopping together, and made plans to do come baking today. We are going to have quiche for lunch followed by some fresh banana bread for our afternoon snack.
The cultural experience part of this is that I have heard other mothers talk about this happening. You show up at school and there is no teacher so you just take the kid(s) home with you. I cannot imagine this happening in an American school, even in a preschool. I know I certainly had to have a sub if I was going to be out of my classroom, as well as 5 days worth of emergency lesson plans. If I couldn't get a sub, other teachers in the school had to cover my classes. This is just so different.
Now I am not complaining. I am having a blast having some one-on-one time with Miss M. It doesn't happen very often when she is healthy. And I really ought to post this and go enjoy the time I have.
3 comments:
Wow! If we could only send the kids home if we didn't have a sub!!! :) I heard in the news that one of the Anderson Districts are furloughing district personnel for ten days and not getting subs in order to save money. Elementary students are put into groups of four and farmed out to other teachers. High school students are sent to the auditorium for study hall.
Wow. That is different. I can't even imagine it not all being resolved before you get there. Crazy. You're right, that would definitely not happen here.
I can't imagine that kind of system. Do they have lower teacher absences because of it?
Hmm, which Anderson districts are doing that? I used to work in Anderson 3, and they were fairly poor. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried that. How things have changed....
Post a Comment