Monday, May 26, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


Mother Nature has not been kind in regards to my menu. I missed out on all of my scheduled grill items over the weekend, and just barely squeaked in some stuff earlier in the week. We did grill the Mesquite marinated pork chops and BOY were they good! The Kikoman chicken did not go over very well though. I liked it, but Husband did not. I want to try it one more time on the grill and see if we like it better.

This week I have planned grill options as well as options for the oven for just about every night, just in case.

Monday - Homemade hamburgers or French dip sandwiches
Tuesday - ham in the crockpot and gratin dauphinois
Wednesday - chicken marinated in Good Seasons Italian dressing, beans or peas, pasta
Thursday - pork chops, baked potatoes, salad
Friday - caramelized garlic chicken, corn, salad
Saturday - grilled duck breast, cheesy mashed potatoes, beans or broccoli or Spaghetti and meatballs
Sunday - Making our own pizzas (I want to try grilled pizza but Husband is not convinced)

I am also trying a few recipes from Annabel Karmel's "First Meals" with the girls for lunch. I am tired of serving the same thing everyday. This may backfire, but we'll see. Here are the things I will be trying:

Mini Veggie Bites

1 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated potato

1 cup grated zucchini
salt
freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
vegetable oil for frying

*Squeeze extra moisture from the grated veggies.
*Mix veggies in bowl with seasoning and flour and form into 8 round fritters using hands.
*Heat oil in frying pan and fry fritters, gently flattening them with a spatula.
*Saute for about 5 minutes, turning about halfway through.
*Drain on paper towel and serve.

Fruity Chicken with carrots

1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 dessert apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 1/4 cups unsalted chicken stock

*Heat butter in pan, add the onion, and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and saute until it turns opaque. Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in chopped apple and chicken stock.
*Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and let cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.


Sandwich Shapes

This one is pretty easy. Use a knife or cookie cutters to cut foods into interesting shapes.

**Note - I tried this today for lunch time. Miss M ate all of the pieces separately, but Miss S put her meat between 2 pieces of bread. I think the different shapes made the same old food more interesting. I did think it was wasteful though, and I ended up using the leftover sandwich meat in my sandwich. Bummer as I don't like the same kind of meat they like. It is an idea I will keep handy for those days when it is tough to get them to eat.



Click here for more kid-friendly recipes from Annabel Karmel and here for more menu ideas from Menu Plan Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My toddler loves sandwich shapes, but, you're right, there is a lot of waste. Her favorite shape is a gingerbread man, so I use some of the extra meat to make his hair and accessories. I'm curious to hear how the veggie bites turn out. Have a great week!

kim said...

love the fruity chicken kabobs for lunch. i feel like i'm always serving the same things at lunchtime. i am going to check out the website you suggested. variety is the spice of life, they say.

kim said...

i mean fruity chicken with carrots! not sure where the kabob came from. think my computers thinking on its own again, silly thing!

loonyhiker said...

My scrapbooking friend posted a free "yummy treats cookbook". Thought you might be interested in looking at it. Here is the link:http://www.scrapsofmind.com/