Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May in Monaco, part 2

Our second day in Monaco was as lovely as the first, but I wasn't sure it was going to turn out that way. I woke early to what sounded like thunder. It took me several minutes to realize that I was hearing the sound of race cars! This should not have surprised me as it was the weekend on the 6th Historic Grand Prix in Monaco. It did surprise me because we were a couple of blocks away from the track, and on the side of the hotel facing away from the track. Luckily, the rest of the family was not bothered by the noise and slept for another couple of hours.

Our goal for the day was to see the race cars. Both of the girls were really excited about it until we got close to the track. It was LOUD and they did not like the noise. We bought tickets anyway hoping that we would find some kind of ear protection for all of us. It was waiting right around the corner from the ticket booth. 30 Euros later, and we were ready to watch antique race cars.

Daddy and his girls, ready for the races to begin
Yes, that is a golf cart outfitted as a fire truck.

It was worth every step and wrong turn we made while trying to find the ticket booth, and every complaint about the noise because we had a great time! The girls clapped and yelled "GO!" They watched the races, and picked their favorite cars. We looked at the boats. It was just a really cool accident.

You see, I had no idea what the Historic Grand Prix was when I made our hotel reservations. All I knew was that we didn't want to be in Monaco during the Grand Prix at the end of May. I had absolutely no idea that we were going to stumble into such a fun activity.

After the races, we took the girls to the hotel pool. Our little fishes had fun splashing in the shallow end. Miss S would have dived right in if we had given her the okay. That kid so needs swimming lessons.


We started our trip home with a couple of geocaches. We had some incredible views of Monaco from the hills above the city. After the geocaching we headed north toward home. We opted for a different route home as there had been lots of traffic jams on the roads we took to get to Monaco. It was a great choice. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery that I think I have seen in France. It was a nice way to end a fun vacation.

2 comments:

RHB said...

Great pics! Fun times!

loonyhiker said...

ntaieflcWhat a fun time this was! Sometimes what you least expect to be fun turns out to be wonderful! We felt like that when I had to go to a meeting in Baltimore and thought nothing was there to do. Then we had a great time all week after all.