Friday, May 2, 2008

The Germany Trip, part three

April 23 found us on the road headed north. We were on our way to our last stop near Frankfurt, and a visit with friends. This was the part of the trip that I had been looking forward to the most. I was going to have the chance to spend some quality time with a friend I had not seen for a very long time. I couldn't wait to get there! But I had to wait. We had one very important stop scheduled . This one was just for Daddy.

There is a gun manufacturer in Germany who makes really nice shotguns. This is important to know if you want to do competition target shooting. My husband is not a hunter, but loves to go after those clay pigeons, and he'd love to have a gun by this maker. We knew that our drive north would take us very close to their factory, and I knew that he really wanted to see how the guns were made. He was able to schedule a private tour of the factory, and get measurements taken in case he ever has the opportunity to buy one of these shotguns. Each gun is custom, and is handmade. They are beautiful pieces of work. It will be interesting to see if we can ever make one happen for him. He is not the only one who had fun in Ulm. While he was taking his tour the girls and I used the GPS to find a really cool park near a river. We had a blast climbing, sliding, swinging and running.

There weren't any other amazing events on the drive, and we arrived at our last hotel around 6 PM. This hotel seems more like a large B&B than a hotel, and it suited us very well. They have at least one family room (I'd say suite) that has a room with twin beds, a room with a double bed, and a nice-sized bathroom. The restaurant was just downstairs, and there was a private parking area. We were pretty happy. Then we went to dinner.

Dinner was awesome! Husband had a portion of pork tenderloin that was evidently incredible based on the look on his face after he first bite. I had a turkey breast filet stuffed with ham, cheese, mushrooms, and leeks. It was breaded and served with a beefy sauce. The girls were served a nice turkey cutlet and some yummy veggies, but preferred Daddy's pork. Luckily Daddy doesn't mind sharing.

So, 4 stuffed and happy travelers settled in for a good sleep. We all wanted to be well-rested for our adventures with our friends.

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

Germany sounds like a lot of fun. I used to have the teacher for the German exchange students stay with me each year. They were from Hanover.