Monday, August 31, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

We survived the first full week of school, and it was a crazy week. I ended up with some activity 4 out of 5 mornings last week, and felt like I didn't stop driving for the while week. Thankfully our carpool started so I was only running one direction to the school. The tank of gas almost lasted the whole week, and now I am a trained volunteer at the girls' school, have clean teeth, have sold a bunch of old stuff in a consignment sale, had time to hang out with some friends from our days in France, and started a new Bible study. WHEW!
So, did I actually cook during this crazy week or did I slack off? Well ... I actually made most of the meals on my menu. I knew it was going to be a busy week, so I did as much ahead of time as possible. The sausage for Monday's pizza was grilled on Sunday while Hubby grilled dinner. The French dip meat was prepared on Monday to be ready for Tuesday. The only meal I missed was the Riviera Chicken. Not to bad for a crazy week, huh?

This week will be a little calmer, and I am looking forward to trying some new recipes. I went through my Excel file of potential recipes this morning and printed off several to try over the next couple of weeks. They are mostly chicken recipes, but that is what I have the most of right now.
Last week I mentioned that we were getting an order from Angel Food Ministries. This is just the meat portion of my order! I ordered the Signature box as well as a mixed grill box and a chicken box. Now I have a ton of meat to prepare. Good thing we have the big freezer!! Susanne at Hillbilly Housewife prepares a menu each month to compliment the Angel Food Ministries boxes, so some of my new recipes will come from there. She has a lot of other interesting money-saving ideas on her website so it is worth a visit even if you are not looking for recipes.
Here is what the week looks like:
Monday - Brown sugar chicken leftovers
Tuesday - Marinated pork chops, mashed potatoes, peas
Wednesday - Caribbean Chicken (from Hillbilly Housewife)
Thursday - Chef salad with ham (leftover from the big ham I cooked a couple of weeks ago) and cheese
Friday - chicken picatta, pasta
Saturday - Steaks, potatoes, salad, wine
Sunday - Fragrant Lemon Chicken, salad, pasta?
I hope you are all having an interesting culinary week. If you are looking for new meal ideas, check out the menus at OrgJunkie.

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

It is funny--most of the time it frees me to have a meal plan during hectic times, but it can also trip me up, that's for sure.

I'm glad you were able to stick to your's for the most part.

Have you tried any of the Angel Food Ministries products yet? I'm curious what you think of the quality. I've been investigating that and another program that's offered here.

Monica said...

I cannot wait to get a freezer so I can load up on meat and have it available! I always love looking at your menus....they're very inspirational.