Wednesday, August 19, 2009

In the Minority

Today was the first day of school, and there was lots of excitement around our house. The Misses have desperately missed the routine that going to school brought to our lives. I missed the new stories that I heard every night at the dinner table. Going to school gave us new things to talk about, and we so needed that. I have found myself in the car with the Misses, traveling for 20 minutes without a word being said. Now, there is a time for quiet reflection, but NOTHING out of a couple of 5-year-olds? Boy, we needed an influx of new information!

And we got it today.

The Misses are attending a really cool school that has both a French immersion and a Spanish immersion program (Guess what we picked). They will spend the first half of the day learning in French and the second half in English. This is not just a few words a day in a foreign language, but a program taught by native speakers in which everything is taught in French. I do think the teacher gives instructions in both languages for the first few weeks, but will soon switch to all French. I am really excited about this.

I think the Misses feed off of my excitement, because they were definitely ready to go this morning. They had picked out dresses, socks and shoes yesterday, had their school bags ready last night, and reminded me I don't know how many times that I needed to pack lunch AND snack in their new lunchboxes.

I was still a little apprehensive this morning when I walked them to the classroom. I didn't know how they would adjust to an experience that was sure to be very different from the last 2 years of French school. I shouldn't have worried, not one little bit.

They talked non-stop for the entire 30 minute ride home. And it was ALL good.

So why am I in the minority? I wasn't sad about my girls going to school. I didn't cry. I didn't have all those thoughts about how they are growing up so fast (I do that just about daily so today wasn't so different). I didn't need tissues. To be honest, I just don't get what all the fuss is about. So many of the kids in their class went to preschool. How is this so different?

I was thrilled that my girls were going to school, that they have the opportunity to spread their wings with someone new, that they were excited about this chance to learn new things, and that they had so much to tell me when they saw me again.

And I hope every day is this exciting, for all of us.

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

I hope so too! I'm glad you ALL had a wonderful day.

Monica said...

I'm so glad they had such a good day in their new school!!!