Monday, August 10, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

My kitchen is being finished as I type. I am listening to the swish of paint brushes and rollers, and to the whoosh-snap of the air hammer. The quarter round is being installed and the walls are being painted. By tonight the new fridge should be back in place and the ice maker cranking out ice cubes (good thing because our supply is almost gone).

This is all happening just in time for my father's arrival in about 90 minutes.

The downside is that the house is a dusty mess because I haven't been able to bring myself to clean it with workmen coming and going. Oh well. Dad/Grandpa has clean sheets and a clean bathroom. And he'll get some good food because ... MY KITCHEN WILL BE DONE!!!

On that note, here is what we will be eating this week:
Monday - grilled steak, salad, bread, roasted garlic
Tuesday - Pepperjack chicken, salad (maybe)
Wednesday - burgers (homemade) and fries
Thursday - Crockpot ham, pasta, peas
Friday - Spaghetti, meatballs, salad, bread (steak or ham for the kids since they don't eat meatballs)
Saturday - Oven-fried chicken, rice, steamed broccoli
Sunday - something on the grill with a salad

A comment about our meals last week. I tried a recipe for Cranberry Almond Chicken from my favorite recipe place. It was VERY good. The kids didn't eat the sauce, but devoured the chicken. My husband ate some of the sauce (picked out the cranberries). I really liked the whole dish. If you are looking for some recipe ideas, try out Apron's Simple Meal at Publix grocery stores. I have found several new faves there, including the Pepper Jack chicken I am making this week.

Crispy Oven-fried Chicken

1 egg
1/2 cup (125 ml) dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp (15 ml) paprika
3 Lbs (1.5 kg) chicken thighs
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
2 Tbsp (25 ml) sesame seeds
1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1/4 cup (50 ml) butter, melted

In a bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In a large bag, shake together flour, sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, baking powder, paprika, and salt. Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into egg mixture. Add to bag and shake to coat. Place in foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with butter. Bake at 350 F (177 C) for one hour or until crispy outside and juices run clear. Makes six servings.

Crockpot Maple Ham

1 smoked, bone-in ham

1 can ginger-ale

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/2 tsp prepared mustard

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place ham in slow cooker cut side down. Pour ginger-ale over the top. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.

Drain liquid out of crock. Score the skin of the ham in the crock right down to the meat. Combine the remaining ingredients and baste the ham skin, getting it well into the cuts. Use it all. Cover and cook another 15-20 minutes.

Remove ham and let sit at least 10 minutes before slicing. Pour syrup juices from the crock over the ham slices and serve.

Take some time and check out the other menus at Org Junkie

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

Yippee! I've been wondering how the kitchen was coming. So Glad they're almost done. Enjoy.

Have a great visit with your dad. Sounds like a yummy week at your house.

Monica said...

I'm so glad to hear (read) that your kitchen is finally done!! Yay!!! I bet you are so excited about that being done and over. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your dad this week....the meals look delicious!