Over the 2 years that these new owners had the boulangerie, we built a relationship. The Misses started ordering their own bread and goodies, and my French progressed to the point that I could do more than simply ask for my baguette. They even started to tease us a bit about our "habit." You see, once we discovered the chocolate dessert that we LOVED, we bought 2 EVERY FRIDAY!! Sometimes on Saturday, too. It was quite an issue the few times that we went into buy our dessert and they didn't have any.
Time passed and our departure date was fast approaching. The news was traveling through the village that we were leaving, and earlier than expected. One morning, when my husband went to buy bread, the boulanger (bread maker) surprised him by explaining that she had asked her dessert maker to give us the recipe for the dessert we loved so much.
WOW! These recipes are generally pretty well guarded.
The day she gave us the recipe, she apologized because it was in French, and was very concerned that we might not understand it. I assured her we would do just fine, and thanked her profusely.
It is now about 5 months later, and we have finally attempted the loved dessert, the Fondant au Chocolat. We did try to use the French recipe, but Husband and I couldn't agree on what a couple of the terms mean. (I will be asking some of my French speaking cooking gurus for help soon.) In a desperate attempt to make this dessert (the Misses wanted it for their Grandpa's visit), I found a recipe, in English, from Gordon Ramsay. Here's how THAT went:
First we had the melting of the chocolate and the mixing of the butter, flour and sugar.
Double seals of approval!
1 comment:
OK, it's late, I'm preoccupied, trying to get my little ones off to bed, but where's the recipe or the link? don't leave us hanging, that looks and sounds delicious!
Glad you were able to duplicate it.
(I can't believe you've been back 5 months--crazy!)
Post a Comment