Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My new indulgence

I have to start this post first by praising my daughters. We went to the grocery store together this morning, and they were good as gold. Mommy got irritated (our closest store is being renovated so things have new homes each week), but the girls helped me have fun anyway. The best part was picking out our produce. They told me exactly what I needed to do from getting the bags, picking the best broccoli, weighing it, and choosing the correct button so that the price sticker would print. We counted! We practiced numbers! We discussed the merits of unripe avocado! We spoke in French (or at least I did, but they answered my questions for once)! When did my babies grow up?!

After the produce, when we were down to our last three items on the list, and shortly after I realized that one of the items was at the complete other end of a crowded store the size of a LARGE Target, we passed the ice cream section. A few weeks ago I discovered a new favorite ice cream product Magnum ice cream bars! The first time we tried them, I bought a variety pack. After sampling most of the flavors in the box, Husband and I decided that these ice cream bars reminded us of Dove ice cream bars, but not as rich. Today, I treated myself with a selection of mini-Magnum ice cream bars. Just what a girls needs on an almost warm sunny summer day. Heck, anytime for that matter. They are covered in chocolate after all!

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I think it is great that your girls are learning practical lessons like this. I wish my parents had done things like this when I was a child. Maybe they will be more comfortable in the kitchen then I ever was. Those ice cream bars sound yummy! I am going to get an ice cream today (we've been talking about it for days and I'm dying for a banana split from Baskin Robbins!)

Monica said...

We have Maginum bars here too, and I LOVE THEM!!!! My personal favorite is the ones with almonds in the chocolate shell. YUMMMM.. I think I may have to take a trip out to the German grocery soon.

kim said...

I just discovered those little heavenly bars as well. I think I have to go to France to get them, but as long as the border guys aren't out, I can bring back as many as I like :) just kidding border guys, i am always within the legal limits for the number of passengers in my car...thank goodness school's out. But, aren't they delicious? Who knew ice cream could be so fantastic? Now we just need a bigger freezer! hmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I first found MAGNUM Bars one mt first trip to Iraq, that time I had one everyday--oh my!!

When we came to Germany, I introduced this delight to Monica--they are the best thing about Europe!!!