We are a family of 4, with one great dog, who are continuing our adventures stateside.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Menu Plan Monday
It was an interesting food week. I tried 4 new recipes, and had an almost 50% approval rating. One recipe, the oven-fried chicken, got rave reviews. The slow cooker pork was reviewed as okay (it does make good tacos though), but the other two didn't pass muster. Bummer. The baked chicken crunch was too much like the creamy chicken that I already make, only not as good. The marinated pot roast was good IF it had the sauce on it, but not so great plain. Oh well. At least I found one new recipe for the week. I will post it at the end, with some personal notes.
This week is another girls' week. Daddy is in Japan again so we are having a combination of leftovers and favorite kids' meals.
Sunday - lunch stuff because we will get back late from church
Monday - Scrambled eggs, bacon, and Bisquick biscuits
Tuesday - Creamy chicken, peas and rice
Wednesday - Leftover pot roast, cheesy mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli
Thursday - Ham, mac'n cheese, broccoli
Friday - Chicken nuggets (homemade), salad for Mom and peppers for the kids
Saturday - Steaks and salad OR French dip sandwiches and fries (Daddy's home)
Sunday - Hamburgers OR slow cooker pork tacos
Crispy oven-fried Chicken
1 egg
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
1/2 cup (125 ml) dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp (25 ml) sesame seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 Tbsp (15 ml) paprika
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
3 lbs. (1.3 kg) chicken thighs
1/4 cup (50 ml) butter, melted
*In a bowl, wisk together egg and milk.
*In a large bag, shake together flour, sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, baking powder, salt, and paprika.
*Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, one piece at a time.
*Add to bag and shake to coat.
*Place on foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with butter.
*Bake at 350 F (177 C) in oven for one hour or until cripsy on outside and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
*Makes 6 servings.
Notes:
*I used chicken breasts and adjusted the cook time accordingly.
*I did not use the sesame seeds but it was still good.
*I will try Lowry's next time instead of paprika and salt just to give a little more flavor.
Enjoy your week, and check out the other great menus at Menu Plan Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
My sister gave me a rice krispie chicken recipe. You put rice krispies in a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin on them to crush them. Then dip the chicken in an egg wash before coating them in the rice krispie bag. Put in a pan. Drizzle melted butter on them (I used about a 1/4 c. butter). Put in oven for an hour at 350. Even my hubby liked this one. When I get my oven, I hope to do this one again.
Everything sounds so yummy! You're on the ball with your menu this week. I'm in a pickle, because my husband's gone on business all week and it's just me in the baby. I'm stumped about what to fix :)
I have got to try the chicken, it sounds really intriguing. I can't believe you did the menu plan when it's just you and the girls. Good job! Isn't it amazing how much easier it is when it's just mom and the kids? Have a great week.
That chicken sounds really good! What's the ingredient before paprika?
Breakfast for Supper Monday!!! How cool is that!!!!
The chicken sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to try it soon.
Have a great week!
Lisa
http://catholicmomof2.blogspot.com
Sounds like a yummy week all around!
Post a Comment