The first memory that I have of my step-mother was in September 1988. She and Dad had been dating for a few months, but we had not met. She came to AuntT's birthday party with a great game. I think it is called Lover's knot. It is a string game where 2 people are attached by 2 strings and have to figure out how to get untangled without untying their strings. This was to go one for many more birthdays. She always had games for us to play. One year, she had a clown for a joint birthday party (I often celebrated with my step-brother as our birthdays are less than a week apart). I remember the games that year being more a long the lines of carnival games. You know, things like the ring toss and such.
Then there were the party decorations. The rule in her house was that you had to wear whatever decorations came on your gifts, and the gift-giver got to decide where to put the decorations! I had a HUGE red, white, and blue bow to wear on top of my head for my 18th birthday. Boy I wish I could show you that picture. Too funny. The decoration thing got so out of control that one sister ended up with plastic bugs taped to her.
The most special decorations were the Barbara Boxes. These were specially wrapped boxes that were beautiful, and were used over and over again. Being a family of paper rippers, these boxes were a challenge for us. We had to be trained on how to open them. She would wrap the box top in gorgeous paper, then decorate it with bows, stickers, and more. These decorations stayed on the boxes, and you did not rip the paper. These were works of art, and I always looked forward to the holiday event where I got to see which box was mine this time.
She introduced us to Santa Mouse, and made a Santa Mouse costume for the grandchildren to wear when they helped pass out the Santa Mouse gifts. The Misses have missed out on wearing the costume as they have grown too big while we have been over here. We all still enjoy the story though. Some of us even have our own copies.
Grandma B helped me decorate our first house. She and my Dad came to visit one weekend, and helped me build an herb garden, then helped me decorate our kitchen. I had a lot of pottery and no idea what to do with it. She suggested that I arrange them in the space above my kitchen cupboards. She even climbed up on the step-ladder to make some adjustments for me. She also made curtains for the living room in the first house I lived in alone.
Barbara was an amazing woman. I know we will all miss her. I think it is a family goal to keep some of her traditions alive, and to remember just what a great part of our family she was.
Note: I just wanted to thank all of you who have been thinking about and praying for all of us in the past few days. Your comments and e-mails have meant so much to me.
4 comments:
What wonderful memories, Stephanie! I am so glad you shared them. I remember you telling me about some of those things when we were in SC.
It sounds like she lived a very full life!
You're in my prayers always!
These were wonderful memories and I'm glad you have them to get you through the tough times. In fact, as soon as I finish this, I'm going to call my stepmom to tell her how much I appreciate her and love her!
By the way, I tried your slow cooker pork recipe yesterday and it was a BIG hit! It smelled good all day long so when I finally served it, it was perfect. Thanks for sharing that.
She'll always be a part of you and your lives. I'm glad you had her in your life and the photos show how glad she was to be a part of it too.
Thinking of you...
She seemed like she was a wonderful woman. I know you were blessed to have each other in your lives and to above that have such a great relationship.
Post a Comment