Sunday, January 3, 2010

Some Christmas Highlights

We started our Christmas celebrations with the grandparents on the weekend before Christmas. We spent an enjoyable Saturday with my Dad and his side of the family, but I didn't take any pictures! It was the first time we had all (well almost all) been together for 3 years. We did miss my grandparents and my cousin, but had a great time catching up with everyone else.

Sunday was a bit quieter with just Gram, Gramp and us, but it was still a good day. The Misses got to bake with their Gram, and even got new Princess aprons to wear (again, no pictures).

On Monday we headed to my husband's parents' house to celebrate Papa's birthday. And boy did we do it in style! Lunch out at our favorite pizza place (not sure if it is Papa's favorite, but he always goes happily when we come home). Dinner was a quick affair just before we left for the Misses' first ever pro hockey game. I thought they'd get bored about halfway through the second period, but they proved me wrong. They LOVED every second! And are still talking about the game.
Tuesday was our family Christmas on this side of the family. The Misses got to spend lots of quality time with their younger cousin, and were truly happy to help him open his gifts. Here they are squishing him with big Christmas hugs.

Now back to our house and Christmas morning ...
Here they are showing off their new gifts from Santa. He was pretty generous this year. That is a new, two-person tube for towing behind the boat. They also got an archery set, a scooter, some sleeping bags, and a few other things.
Here they are demonstrating how to use the tube. I think we would have been on the water on Christmas if we had dry suits for those kids (and their dad).
Right after they looked through their stockings and Santa stuff, Miss M noticed this table in the morning room. She thought it was from Santa at first. It was actually from Grandma and Papa, but that only made it better. Now they have their own space for creating art projects! And you can't see them, but their are two small bookshelves in the corner to hold all of their art supplies. Mommy is loving this setup!
And from the other Grands - bean bags for their reading corner! Think they like them?
Last, but not least, are the new PFDs from Grandpa W. Notice how they match the tube? And they will match our boat which has a red Bimini cover. Hmm ... I think Santa did some serious coordinating this year. :)
Another cool gift was a bird feeder and a book about creating backyard havens for those birds. The Misses are really into watching birds (all of their grandparents have feeders), and want to set up their own stuff in our backyard.
The Misses gave their Dad a new travel book, full of ideas of places to see in the US and Canada. They want to go through it and mark all of the places we have already seen, then look for new places to go.
Mom got some great toys this year too. I got a bread machine, an electric mandoline slicer, a Food Saver vacuum sealer, and a mortar and pestle. I know some people think it is rude to give machines to a woman as gifts, but I was THRILLED! And the family is enjoying fresh baked bread every couple of days.
And my angels on Christmas Day. It took their Dad something like 8 shots to get this one, but I am okay with it. The others really show their personalities. I like this one because it shows how they generally get along - just like sisters. And I love them for it!
I hope you and your families all enjoyed your holidays.

2 comments:

Mom24 said...

I'm glad you had such a good Christmas.

I would love to have the bread machine recipes you enjoy. I have one but it suffers from an appalling lack of use.

JMFS said...

Our Papa got the same book - we will have to compare notes!