Wednesday, January 27, 2010

List making

I have been feeling like almost all of my most recent posts have started with either "Menu Plan Monday" or "Time got away from me." I keep coming up with fun ideas for posts, tales from the Misses adventures in life, or my own. Then I get caught up in living that life and, by the time I can get time on the computer to actually write a post, I have forgotten what I wanted to write about! To help that problem, I made a list of post ideas.

And have had no time to write them (Still want to know how people with more children than I have and fuller lives than mine manage to blog so regularly). Here's where I was headed this week:

1. I'm not supposed to be stupid yet

It seems that one no longer has to wait until one's children are teenagers to become stupid anymore. Evidently a parent looses all sense of intelligence when the child(ren) become 6. For some unknown reason (to this parent at least), 6 seems to be the magic age when children now know more than their parents. This newsflash was shared with me by my recently-turned 6 daughter, Miss S, as she informed me that I do not have any idea what a person needs to eat for breakfast. My response was something along the lines of "Uh-huh! I know better than you do because I am older."

Hmm ... I think I may have proved her point. I have lost all intelligence.

I did go on to point out (in a much more mature manner) that I used to be a teacher, and that I taught people Cousin A's age all about their bodies and what they needed.

She still does not want to eat breakfast, but she has stopped arguing with me about it. This week.

2. Aprons - a new fashion trend?

I have noticed something about myself in the past week. I actually enjoy housework when I am wearing my apron. I think I might just have to add this to my wardrobe as the ultimate accessory. I might just get the chores under control if I make wearing my apron a daily habit.

Maybe I won't share this revelation with the family.

3. And all I wanted to do was play Wii tennis

Some of you who have followed our family for a while are aware that we had some issues with water damage not long after we moved into this new house last April. Well, we discovered yet another problem this past Sunday night. This is the 5th water problem in this house, 4 of which are on the builder's head. Here's the short version of how it all came about this time:

I was on my way into the living room to explore the world of Wii tennis when my husband got my attention with some unprintable statement. He was standing by the front door with wet feet. Now this would not have been of any interest if he had just come in from walking the dog, but he was, in fact, on his way OUT to walk the dog. The water was on the inside of the front door. The outside of the door was all dry despite the driving rain that was falling on its side of the world.

Wii tennis was forgotten as I foraged in the linen closets for any old towels, rags, or anything else that could be used to get the puddles off of the wood floor. My husband went in search of the source (rain clouds outside were my first guess, but he ignored me). What he found was a small stream of water coming from under a 2"x10" plank in the attic.

Out came the hammer, nails, and some buckets. Before I could even get over my fear of climbing up and down those pesky folding attic stairs, my dear husband had buckets in place and pictures taken. And the drips onto the front door slowed, then stopped.

And I was on the phone to the builder.

Now I am waiting for said builder to arrive with his roofing guy to see what they can do about my roof before the next wave of rain arrives on Friday.

Now we are all caught up. I can throw away my most recent list, and start a new one. The goal this week is to actually write the posts within a couple of days of having the ideas. Think life can wait that long?

No comments: