Thursday, November 26, 2009

Our First Thanksgiving

I recently stepped out of the bathroom after a luxuriously long shower and smelled the wonderful scent of a turkey that I am not roasting. Then I heard A LOT of giggling, and it all brought to mind that we are having yet another first with our girls this year. I am sure that some of you are wondering how we can continue to have firsts with a couple of almost 6-year-olds, but it is SO possible.

The Misses were 2.5 years old when we moved them to France. They were just starting to get into holidays. They had figured out Christmas and all of the present giving (getting), but Thanksgiving wasn't quite concrete for them yet. It didn't help that we were living in a country that doesn't have a Thanksgiving holiday. Turkeys are not to be had until Christmas. Ask my friend RHB. Boy, does she have stories to tell about her annual searches for a French turkey! It was hard to explain to the girls that Americans have a special day to focus on all of the things we are thankful for, a day without school or work to distract us. In France, it was just another day.

I think that is what makes this year so special. This is the first year that they really seem to get the whole idea of taking a day off from normal life and spending time being THANKFUL! I found a book for them that is all about being thankful for all kinds of things on Thanksgiving - family, friends, our homes, our schools, our freedom. We are together for 5 days, and are able to see our families. And the Misses are getting to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade for the very first time!

I have such fun memories of watching this parade with my sisters when I was a kid. I think Mom had it on to keep us busy and out of the kitchen but we didn't care! It was so cool! And watching it always lead to stories about my Mom going to watch the parade. in person, as a kid, and about her grandfather ice skating down the Hudson River to go to work, and seeing the Roosevelt's as they drove to their estate in Hyde Park. I remember being so excited when I saw the Snoopy balloon. Now my children are getting to experience this same excitement. I can tell because I can hear them as I type. Everything about the parade is exciting to them.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Now, please pardon me as I end this to go share in some of that excitement.

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

That is so exciting! I watched the parade today too while I was on the phone with my 5 year old great niece who lives in NY. She was so thrilled with watching the parade and telling me what she liked the best. Will you take the girls to the Christmas parade downtown this year? Our town has a neat parade too along with one night when they light up the town Christmas tree.

kim said...

So exciting! Can't wait until we get to have some American firsts as well. Have a blessed day!

Mom24 said...

The Macy's day parade is a requirement at our house too. I hope you had a lovely day.

Happy Thanksgiving.