My blog friend, Kim, over at Adventures in Switzerland and Life, has been writing some great posts explaining how she is organizing her life in preparation for the Christmas holidays. I have been following along and trying out some of her ideas.
Today, she offered what seems to me to be a wonderful idea - shop only with stores that are promoting the idea of Christmas instead of just the general holidays. She even offered a link to a website that has checked out lots of national retailers and rated them "for" or "against" Christmas.
What an eye-opener! I was happy to see some of my favorites on the "for" list, but disappointed to see some of my other faves on the "against" list. On one hand I think I can understand that the companies are trying to be politically correct so that they do not lose business, but on the other hand, I have to agree with Kim.
We have to focus on the reason for the holiday - Christ and his birth. Hence the name of the holiday: CHRISTmas. In that effort I encourage all of you to shop the companies that are "for" Christmas, and contact the others to let them know how you feel.
4 comments:
Hmmm, interesting, but as a family that celebrates Christmas and Hanukkah I don't agree. I think the stores want the dollars we're spending just as much on Hanukkah as Christmas, and I think it makes people feel better when places are inclusive.
I do not like it when stores have rigid policies against saying things like Merry Christmas though. I think people should say what they feel.
Thanks for linking to my post. I'm glad you found the link to the retailers helpful. Merry Christmas!
Thank you for the list. I'm with you; it makes me sad to see so many people take the Christ out of Christmas. I'm going to try to do my part, especially with my daughter, to remind her for the reason for the season.
Post a Comment