Friday, November 13, 2009

Another first

One thing I really like about having the girls in school is that we are always having "firsts." There are the first words that they have learned to read, the first birthday parties, the first lunch with Daddy, the first library book, and the first phone call from the nurse.

Today we crossed the last one off the list of firsts yet to come. Miss M went to the Health Room with a headache and low grade fever this afternoon, and did not feel that she could finish the day at school. When I asked her if she felt that bad, and did I need to call her doctor she answered "No, Mommy. I just didn't want to make the other kids sick."

Such a sweet thought. Such a shame that she is now stuck in bed with a few books, resting. You see, I agree with my parents (now) that if one is too sick to go to school, or stay there, one is too sick to play in the playroom, check out Webkinz, or watch hours of TV. I do not want my children to go to school when they are sick (like we so often did), but I do want them to learn that school is very important, and it is not okay to skip it just because of a sniffle or a headache. When they are truly ill they will be coddled and have special privileges. For now, she will have to rest, at least until her sister gets home.

3 comments:

Mom24 said...

Hope she's feeling all better soon.

FYI--For Jacob and Julianna the H1N1 flu started for both of them with a low grade fever and headaches. Good luck.

Monica said...

That is so sweet of her to think of the other children. And I agree with you about sick children staying in bed and being quiet until they're better.

loonyhiker said...

I remember when my girls were little and I went to a school conference. Apparently they had been going home sick at least 2 days a week and grandma was picking them up but no one told us (the parents) about this. So girls and grandma were having a good ol' time together. Finally we had to lay the law down and said if anyone came home sick, there was no playing or TV the rest of the day and they had to stay in bed. Amazing how quickly these girls got healthy. (And grandma was given more time on the weekends with them if no one came home early!)