Friday, July 3, 2009

Father's Day

I decided that I am in the mood for a little time travel today. We are not going far. The recent past is a good place to start. Buckle your seat belts and hold on as we cruise back to ... June 21, 2009!

The Misses and I shopped diligently for the perfect gifts for Daddy. It took all of about 1 hour, including driving time. Thankfully these girls shop like I do - they walk in the store, see what they want buy it and leave. No hanging around window shopping. This year they chose some book by daddy's favorite author. I chose a book and a grill brush from the dog. Everything went over very well.

My gift to my Husband was a little more unusual. He has been working really hard on getting our yard under control. The sod came complete with weeds, and about 1/3 of the fescue seeds didn't take. That makes for a very messy looking yard. It hasn't helped that we had 2 undeveloped lots near us, also covered with weeds. He spent something like 7 hours outside on the day before Father's Day mowing, edging, trimming, spreading fertilizer with weed control, and I don't know what else. That afternoon we received a letter from our HOA about how we need to take care of the yard, that the covenants for the neighborhood state that the yards must be maintained or the HOA will hire someone to do the work at our expense. This just cut him to the quick. I don't know how he could do anymore.
So, on to my gift. Husband didn't sleep well that night, and was still thinking about the letter in the morning. After opening the gifts, he decided to hang some more blinds then do a little work in the garage. While he was doing that I started pulling weeds in our very over-grown landscaped areas at the front of the house.
This was much more involved that I realized. Luckily it had rained the night before so the weeds were easy to pull out. In the process, I raked all of the pine straw out of the area to make it easier to see the little weeds. Once that was done, I decided that I might as well put in the black weed fabric before putting all of the pine straw back in. As a result, the landscaped area went from looking something like this: to looking like this:. And my husband was able to relax some.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

What a wonderful present you gave to him! I love how neat and nice it looks and I'm sure he appreciated it too!

Monica said...

Those sounds like wonderful gifts for him. I'm sure he really appreciated all of your work on the yard!!