Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Customer Service?

One would think that I would be used to a lack of customer service after living in Europe for almost 3 years. The term "customer service" just doesn't mean the same thing over there as it does in the US. Or at least what it used to mean.

Now, before I go on a negative tangent about how lousy customer service has become in my home country, I will qualify my statements. Customer service is not bad everywhere. We have had some great service in lots of places. It is just the places that it is lacking that amaze me.

We have had at least 2 experiences in chain retail stores where we could not find someone to help us, or if we did find someone, they were downright surly. Gee, sorry for expecting you to do your job. Again, I will say that these experiences have been greatly offset by the MANY times that we have had incredible customer service.

One place that I thought we'd get good service was with the contractor that we chose to do our home repairs. And we have gotten good service for the most part. Unfortunately it is the few times that this company's service has been lacking that are standing out. Do I feel that these times are impacting the quality of work that is being done on our house? NO! I am very pleased with the work so far. I do feel that they color my perceptions though, and unfortunately, possibly the perceptions of others.

Unhappy customers talk. And I have talked. LOTS of people know about the day I came home from swim lessons to find not only the garage unlocked, but the front door as well. Furious is a good word to describe my demeanor. And a few folks know about the day that I waited at home all day for someone to come in and do a little more work, and that person did not show up until after 8 PM. No phone call as to why he wasn't there in the morning either.

So am I being ridiculous, expecting the people coming into my home to have exceptional communication with me, to show up when they say they are going to be there? Are my expectations too high? I don't think so. I think that is an important part of the service they are providing. I am trying hard not to let a couple of negative experiences ruin the whole situation because this company IS doing a lot right, as are lots of other companies.

I am just disappointed that the company I chose to invite into my home hasn't been one of the stars in the customer service sky.

1 comment:

loonyhiker said...

That has been the hardest skill to teach my students as they enter the work place. In fact, many of the potential employers tell me that this is a skill that they look for in employees. Yet, I find that many of the employees take their cue from their supervisors who take their cue from the ones higher up the ladder. So, I feel if there is bad customer service, it is a reflection about the company as a whole. I don't understand why people can't treat others as they would want to be treated. This lack of consideration and pride in their work is a mark against a company and they should see this as affecting future sales. I hope it all works out for you.