This has been a tough week. I have had to say goodbye to so many people who have been a part of my life for the past couple of years. Some goodbyes have been harder than others. I have been expecting that. What has come as a surprise has been how often the thought of "This is the last time that I will ..." has crossed my mind, and the tears have filled my eyes.
Today is the Misses' last day in their French school. I dropped the girls off this morning and started back down the hill to the car only to realize that this was the last time I will walk them to the gate and hand them over to the care of their teachers and the aides, women who have become so important to my children in the past 2 years. The experience at the French Maternelle has been amazing. Both girls have good friends there. It warms my heart to see these girls waiting for the Misses every morning, and to watch my children run to their friends to give bisous (kisses), hold hands and happily go off to play. We end each schoolday with stories about what they've done that day, who they played with, and what they ate for lunch. I love listening to the girls as we walk down the hill to the car. The best part is when they tell me the stories in French.
And the girls have made an impact on the people at the school. The teachers have organized a little party at the end of the day so all of the children at the school can say goodbye to the girls, and to us as Husband and I have been invited. I think this may be the toughest goodbye yet, at least for me.
I have no regrets about moving over here. It has been such an awesome experience for all of us. There are many people and places that I will miss, but as a friend said recently, part of me will always remain here, and I think that part of the region will always be a part of me. I know I will shed many more tears, and I will always miss certain things about my life in France, but I have some amazing memories, and LOTS of scrapbooking to do.
3 comments:
Beautifully said. Although the date for my goodbyes is yet to be determined, I can imagine that my reaction will be similar to yours.
It's good to hear that you enjoyed the experience, even with all it's challenges and adventures. It was worth it! And you will be different because of your time spent in Europe. As I like to say, we will always be the weird ones who lived for a while in Europe.
I will miss your blogs from this side of the Atlantic, but will look forward to the adventures that await you State-side. I think I will learn a lot from you about re-entry, just as I have learned a tremendous amount from you about European life.
Thanks for your honest blogs about your "adventures" and may your move be swift and uneventful!
(((Hugs))) I'll be thinking of you today...actually, I imagine the end of your school day is pretty close to right now. I am thinking of you. :-) What a wonderful experience you've had, I know you're thankful for that. Best of luck on the next leg of your journey.
The missing goes two ways you know. You have no idea how hard it is to get to know you, like you, enjoy you, and then watch you leave. You will be missed. And stalked on FB! ;)
Post a Comment