We all scream for ICE CREAM!!
Okay, this might not sound like an amazing start to my 200th post, but it has been a significant event in our household.
The Misses discovered that they like ice cream!!
In most normal American households, this isn't really any big deal. It certainly is here. You see, the Misses were born about 9 weeks early, and very tiny. Miss M spent 31 days in the hospital, and Miss S stayed for 38 days. They went through a lot of therapy during their first 18 months, and have done incredibly well. Most people never guess that they are preemies.
Most people don't know about the reflux that haunted Miss S until she was 2.5 years old (LOVE Prevacid). Most people don't know what it is like to have kids who have issues with textures. And most people don't realize what a kicker it was to move to a foreign country just at the time that their children are ready to explore some new food textures like peanut butter. You see, peanut butter is hard to find in France. We did the best we could to introduce new foods and textures, but unfortunately, the Misses still missed out of some of those American foods. I mean these are American kids who don't ever dip foods in Ranch dressing or ketchup. I used to wonder if that was even legal.
That all changed in the past week. Gram is really good about just putting stuff on the plate. Sort of a culinary surprise at each meal. She balances the new stuff with some of the tried-and-true favorites, and she gets results. She got the girls to try ice cream AND peanut butter, just not in the same meal. The peanut butter met with less than stellar results, but the ice cream was a HIT. Huge surprise because they don't even like their juice too cold.
This has give me hope. Do I dare dream that we have passed most of the texture issues? Do I encourage dipping foods in an effort to introduce some new textures? Do I just buy a small jar of peanut butter and spread it really thinly on some bread?
Do I stop worrying and enjoy the fact that my daughters enjoy our favorite flavors of ice cream?
I think I'll go with the last one.
2 comments:
What wonderful news. I am so happy for you, I can imagine how much it means to you to feel like you're entering a new phase--where you can not second guess and worry about things. Here's hoping the success keeps building. I can't imagine a life without ice cream. :-)
That's really exciting! Livers was not a preemie, but when she hit one her tastes got so picky! She was almost a complete vegetarian for six months, and if she didn't like it she wasn't going to try it. We've started to come around (especially if we call the offensive food "chicken") and a little bribery has worked for us.
Post a Comment