Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wednesdays in France

Wednesday is sometimes my favorite day of the week, and sometimes the day I dread the most. The kids do not have school on Wednesdays. Not so good on a rainy day, unless it is winter.

Huh? you say. You like rainy winter Wednesdays?

Yes, because Wednesdays in the winter mean playgroup is inside, and rain does not keep us from getting together. And I LOVE playgroup.

Our group is an international mix of women with children ranging from a few weeks old to about 8, I think. In the late spring, summer and early fall we meet at local parks and the kids run wild (the parks are fenced in so they are confined). Once it gets cold, we move inside to people's homes. The kids get to play with "new" toys, and the Moms get to chat. It is great! And today was my day to host.

I used to approach these days with some serious trepidation. Was the house clean enough? Did I have enough food? Was I going to be able to make a decent pot of coffee? Would the Misses play nicely and share with the other kids? Had I put up everything that might harm those littler people? Were there enough plates and cups out for everyone? I'd work myself into quite a frenzy long before the first person arrived.

Today was the first time I felt relaxed, even excited, to have 11 kids and 5 Moms in the house (and that's not even the whole group - we were missing at least 5 kids and 2 Moms). I had cleaned the house, but didn't worry about what anyone else would think. So what if there were a few crumbs on the counter? I wasn't worried if I had enough food. I knew I could pull stuff out of the pantry if needed. I could always go to the store tomorrow to restock. And you know what? I HAD THE BEST TIME!!

I drank a cup of coffee and ate some of everything on the table. I chatted about cooking in France, husbands, kids, schools, house hunting, and so much more. I was relaxed. I didn't even stress when I realized that I had forgotten to get out cups for the kids. One of the Moms was wandering around the kitchen looking for a cup for her son, and I didn't even care. I thought it was great that she was comfortable enough in my house to look without needing to ask.

I realized that that one word summarized how I felt - Comfortable. I wanted everything to be perfect, but I was okay if it wasn't. I was comfortable with the fact that these women won't judge me. They will just enjoy being here. We are all comfortable enough together that any one of us will fix a drink for a child who asks nicely, or point out the snacks that are available. We are comfortable enough together to communicate quickly to make sure that it is okay with The Mom to serve the drink or snack. We are comfortable enough in each other's homes to serve ourselves or our children without expecting the hostess to do it for us.

I will miss this comfort, and the women and children who let me feel it, when it is time to cross the ocean again for the last time. And I will appreciate every opportunity to experience this comfort until I have to take that flight.

P.S. A big thank you to all of the Moms who snuck in the kitchen and straightened it for me. What a cool surprise when I went to tidy up. All I had to do was put a few dishes in the dishwasher and I was done! What an incredible gorup I am a part of!

2 comments:

Dig said...

This group is why I haven't fallen off the edge completely.

We will miss you when you head back over the pond for good. But don't worry, many of our former moms may have flown the coup, but they are never forgotten! Nor shall you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a fun time! I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful group of friends.