Monday, December 8, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I woke up this morning to -3 Celsius. MINUS 3! I do think we are in for a serious winter this year, and that is a little scary for this transplanted Southern girl. Luckily it is sunny today, and I am able to take advantage of the sun to warm my house a bit.

Onto the menu stuff. I tried a new recipe this past weekend. This is an interesting French one. It is called Blanquette, and it is kind of like American chicken noodle soup in my opinion - Everyone has their own version! This is the second time that I have made this dish, and I can definitely say that I liked the second try better. Unfortunately, my family didn't like it. I will not give up though! I discovered that the leftovers freeze well, and it really does taste better a day or two later. I will add the recipe at the end of this post.

Yesterday, I made French Onion Soup using a recipe from Le Cordon Bleu. I think I have posted this recipe before, but I just have to post it again. This was an awesome batch. This soup freezes well, and 3/4 of the family loves it. Again, the recipe will be posted below.

Now for this week ... We are finally all on the mend, and I am throwing 4 new recipes into the plan! My deprived taste buds are clamoring for some tasty fare!

Monday - Carmelized Garlic Chicken, steamed broccoli, Bisquik biscuits
Tuesday - Leftovers (gotta make room for new leftovers)
Wednesday - Beer Braised Beef, bowtie pasta, salad?
Thursday - Leftovers
Friday - Sweet Mustard Chicken Bake, rice, peas
Satuday - Tacos
Sunday - Crockpot Herb Pork Roast, salad, bread

Please visit OrgJunkie for more menu ideas!

French Onion Soup

450 g onions, thinly sliced

75 g butter

1.5 L beef stock

200 ml dry white wine

1 bouquet garni

salt and freshly ground pepper

Sweat the onions in the butter in a heavy-based pan for ~20 minutes or until tender and carmelized. Add stock, wine, bouquet garni, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil, stirring. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and check seasoning. Eat as-is, or put in soup bowls with a think slice of French bread on top. Sprinkle with cheese and broil to melt. Serves 4-6

Blanquette

1 leek

2 large carrots

1 yellow onion

1 tin of mushrooms

30 g butter

1 soup spoon full of cooking oil

1.2 kg of meat (veal, chicken or turkey)

flour

1 bouquet garni

2 egg yolks

15 cl fresh cream

juice from 1/2 lemon (I leave this out)

salt and pepper

white wine

water

1. Wash the leek and peel it apart. Cut it into small pieces (use the white and green parts). Peel carrots and slice thinly. Peel the onion.

2. In a large casserole, heat butter and oil. Brown the meat slowly. Add salt and pepper.

3. Sprinkle the meat with flour (~2 tbsp) and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes, turning often. Add a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 wine just to cover the meat (I used about 3 cups total).

4. Add veggies, mushrooms and bouquet garni. Cover the casserole and simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes. (I suggest checking often to make sure that you don't cook out the liquid)

5. Remove meat and veggies from liquid. Place them in a warm bowl and keep warm. Strain the broth and let it boil down for a few minutes on high heat (I stir mine often, removing the skin from the top, and let if boil for about 10 minutes).

6. Meanwhile, whip the yolks and cream together in a bowl. Add lemon juice if desired. Reduce the heat under the broth and pour in this mixture, stirring continually. DO NOT let it bubble!

7. Return the meat and vegetables to the sauce, stir and serve.

3 comments:

kim said...

The menu looks great. I think I might be trying one of your chicken recipes this week. In need of a chicken change around here.

funny you are thinking it's cold. We're feeling warm and toasty at minus 3 C. Heck, we'd be feeling warm and toasty at minus 3 F! :) Us, Minnesotans are so strange, I know.

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy the caramelized garlic chicken. Thanks for the link love.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...both those chicken meals sound yummy!!