Friday, December 5, 2008

My Favorite Sound

I would generally say that my favorite sound is silence. The girls usually put forth a constant stream of chatter, in French or English depending on what they are doing. It wears me out. Usually. I've had a bit too much of the silence in the past 8 days as we have been fighting some really nasty colds, and bronchitis on the part of Miss S.

Today, my favorite sound is giggling. Lots and lots of giggling!

It started last night when Daddy got the bath going. We have an old porcelain-coated bathtub and have found that we HAVE to preheat it. If we don't, the water that is "the perfect temperature" quickly gets way too cold. The general ritual is to run about 2 inches of HOT (almost boiling) water into the tub, turn on the wall heater, close the door and play for about 20 minutes. We then add a little warm or cool water as needed and the bath is perfect. Makes for happy girls.

Last night, Daddy got distracted. We were chatting upstairs when he suddenly asked me if I heard water running. He dashed downstairs as I answered no, ran into the bathroom, and burst out laughing. He had left the tub faucet running! It was on full HOT, and there is no overflow valve on that tub. Luckily he caught it before we had a boiling mess on the floor.

What we did have was a tub that was very full of hot water. I finally ambled downstairs about 10 minutes later as the first of my two fishes jumped into the tub. She was up to her armpits in water! And Daddy said he had drained about half of the hot water and added cold to get the temperature right. WOW! Needless to say, my two budding swimmers had the best time floating, blowing bubbles, and going under the water in their modified swimming pool. I did hear Daddy comment that he wasn't sure how he was going to wash one of the girls since her body was under the water. And that was when the laughing started.

It has continued on into this morning. I can tell that Miss S is feeling much better, and Miss M isn't far behind. This is the first day that they have been able to play together since one or both has been sick since last Thursday. And the giggles have been rampant.

It has been better than my favorite Christmas carols.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so so so excited that they are feeling better! And I have to agree, the sound of their laughter and playing together is the greatest sound on earth. I take it for granted way too often.

loonyhiker said...

I am so glad that they are feeling better! I had to giggle too when I pictured the tub and the water. I tend to forget things like that if I get on the computer. I can't tell you how many hard boiled eggs have gotten baked on the stove because the water boiled dry. (Now I set a timer to remind me to turn off the heat.)

Unknown said...

As a child we lived in Bermuda, Azores and Newfoundland. The experiences have definitely formed the adult that I am. I will always be thankful to my father for chosing the Air Force as a career.
Happy to hear that you are feeling better. My husband is suffering from a cold and as a diabetic he has to be extra careful. I'm taking him to the clinic today because his cough is worst.
Enjoy your cold weather.
A Former Cold Lover.