Friday, January 4, 2008

What exactly is Foie Gras?

Okay, I don't really want to know. I know way too much about how it is produced, and I understand why it is not sold in the US. Somehow a tube being force down a goose's throat to force feed it to make foie gras just isn't appetizing. However ... the social aspect of having my first taste couldn't be missed.

Our neighbors invited us for an aperatif. This is one of those cultural things that often trips up Americans. I think it is more than just drinks and munchies, but not quite a dinner. I called my Musher friend who has lived in France for a lot longer than we have and asked her about the etiquette. Do I take flowers, wine, or food? How does this work? She laughed, then was very helpful.

We arrived at the appointed hour with a bag of toys and a couple of straw cups in hand. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, so I wanted to have some distractions for the girls. They immediately settled in the salon (living room) and dumped their toys all over the carpet. I was thrilled that they were comfortable. First hurdle handled.

We talekd for a bit then headed to the table. It was covered with all kinds of interesting looking foods. I didn't know what anything was except the plate of ham and cheese for the girls. Hmm ... There was pain suprise - a stack of what looked like flour tortillas with different fillings. There were tiny tart shells with 3 different fillings - pepper (tasted a bit like spaghetti sauce), zuchini, and a cheese and herb filling. Those were pretty good. There was saucisson, a dried sausage that sort of tasted like a croos between salami and pepperoni to me. Then there was the foie gras. I tried my first bite and was not impressed. Our neighbors encouraged me to try it with fig jelly. Okay. They went to all of this trouble to share a French delicacy with us. I was game, and it was better. I did finish my slice. The Husband did not. He got one bite down, and choked another one down and quit. At least he tried it!

After the food came the alcohol tasting. Now we had been trying some good wines with our food. I am not sure eactly how we got into a discussion about other types of alcohol that are produced in France, but the bottles started coming out. I had to laugh when a large bottle labeled Jack Daniels was brought to the table. Nothing French about that! It was the stuff inside that was French. I think it was some kind of Cognac type liquer. That was okay. Then they brought out some Grand Marnier. Mmm ... Good stuff. The husband liked it so much that I bought some at the grocery store this week.

I think the best part of the whole evening was the conversation. I think I even understood most of it. It was a lot of fun sharing stories and descriptions of lifei n the US, and comparing it to life here. One example - we got into a discussion about foods for the Christmas meal. The basics are the same - a turkey here for example - but the preparation is different. It was pretty cool. The next challenge will be preparing an American meal for them!

3 comments:

RHB said...

Glad you enjoyed your first aperitif with your neighbors! Hooray for you eating foie gras!

Dig said...

Well done for trying it all! This really is the best part of living abroad, SHARING. XOXO

lori said...

Hey there,
I came over after I saw your comment at CWO on my Mom a Muffin post!

Foie gras...wow! you are brave!!
Fun stuff..we were in France this summer....what an exciting thing for the twins!

It's nice to meetcha!!
peace,
lori