Friday, January 18, 2008

We have a cheese truck!

It seems that non-French people have a very romantic idea of life in France. There is a produce market everyday where one buys the fresh fruits and veggies for the day's meals, and the fresh flowers folr your table. The next stop is the meat shope where the proprietaire prepares perfect selections for your meals. After that comes the cheese shop for the cheese course that follows the main course. The last stop is the bread store for the fresh French bread (a baguette of course) and something yummy for dessert. This is not reality, unfortunately, but it does sound really great doesn't it? Oh, you can find markets in some of the towns, but they are only one day a week. Some of the bigger cities do have markets everyday, but who wants to live there? :)

In our small town, we have a produce truck that comes on Friday mornings. It works well for filling in with some fresh produce for the weekend, but it is expensive. And they don't have flowers. It is nice to have the personal touch, to get to know the people who bring in the produce, rather than the nameless people in the supermarkets. But I'd love to have that weekly market to choose from. I have had an opportunity to experience the village market with my friend in a villeage near us, and it was fun! And they had lots of options that my produce truck was lacking, like cheese. And we really like cheese.

Today, that problem was rectified! Miss S and I were headed to the bread store for the prerequisite bread and dessert when I saw it - a white truck full of ... CHEESE! I was so excited. Maybe our little town is working its way up to a real market!

3 comments:

RHB said...

Hey, you are welcome to come to the Billom market with us anytime! Normally I go whenever the weather is nice. Now that my home is hopefully back to normal, I need to get back into my Monday market routine. Then maybe I can shed some of this baby weight. :)

Monica said...

Yay for the Cheese Truck!! I am curious to know what kind of selection they had. And I am definately guilty of having sucha warped idea of romanticizing what other countries are like.

Dig said...

I'm just waiting for the nappy and juice truck to start coming to Billom. That way, I'd be able to get everything at the market! Hey, there's a business idea!!!