Thursday, June 2, 2011

Befuddled

We are entering our third summer in this house, and I am befuddled. I am desperate to get some ceiling fans installed in an effort to combat the rising temperatures. My husband isn't. My husband wants to do this job once, and do it right. He wants to find the perfect ceiling fans that have all of the most wonderful features that will gain us the most out of our electric bill.

However, he does not want to do the research.

Left to my own devices, I found a lovely site that gave me the choice of something like 150 options to choose from. You'd think that would make it easy. Find one that is pretty, has the right features and Presto! I am placing an order.

Not so, dear reader! You see, we've chosen a quirky feature that we saw once in a model house during our house buying trip in early 2009. We were here for 2 days to choose the lot, decide on all of the features that we could pick for the house, and finalize the contract. We were jet-lagged and overwhelmed. BUT we remember this incredible fan that had all of the features that would make us both happy.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a "dream" anything when you don't remember all of the details?

And Google is no help! Well, actually the ceiling fan industry is no help as they do not have a standardized list of terms used for the features. But Google has given me more choices in websites than I can handle.

This story has a happy ending though (well, a happy middle as the fans are not yet installed). I found the "contact us" hotlink on every one of the manufacturer websites that I was truly interested in, and used it! I am a firm believer that if you put a hotlink for me to follow to contact you, it really is okay for me to contact you. As a result I received several very nice responses today letting me know exactly which models each manufacturer offers with our particular combination of features.

I am armed and ready to give my husband the short list! Luckily after knowing this fella for over 20 years, I feel fairly confident that he will find 2 or 3 fans that interest him off of my list. There is light at the end of this hot tunnel, and there may just be blades and a motor attached!

1 comment:

Mom24 said...

Yay! Good for you. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms, in the living room and 2 in the family room. I absolutely love them and find they make a huge difference. I know you will love having them.