I recently found out that a good friend will be moving from France to our little hamlet in the Sunny South. Now I will be missing just one of the trio I came to love so dearly as an expatriate. This is very good news to me, and to the Misses. We have so much to share with our long-lost friends!
It has been just over 2 years since out return to the Land of the Free, and I'd still love to go back (maybe a little less right now in light of the news this week). On the same night that we found out about this move my husband told me that he had more good news. Based on the grin on his face I thought he was going to tell me that WE were going to move across the pond again. Now so welcomed news at that moment. Luckily for me, the Company does not have a shipping container anywhere in my near future. But the whole thing got me thinking.
IF we were to move to France again, what US stuff would I make sure I packed?
Number one was an immediate response of "Aluminum foil!!" So did not like the French option. Of course we would need to take our preferred toiletries, and tons of the powdered marinades and Good Seasons salad dressing mix that we love. Beyond that, I can't think of anything.
The list of stuff I would still bring back from Europe is much longer however. I would pack tons of Swiss chocolate and French bread, cheese and wine. I would also pack olive oil and balsamic vinegar, the fresh veggies and fish, and the awesome cream that comes from Normandy. Granted, the customs and immigration folks might frown on these items, but I still miss them! I also miss simple things like French lip balm and the great little cheesecloth-type bags for loose tea. Strange, huh?
So, one might ask if I would prefer to live in France. Not for the rest of my life, but there are certainly many things that I enjoyed there. I had to chuckle when I reread my list as most of it is food related. Maybe that is because I feel that I truly learned to cook in France. Maybe it is just because I like to eat! Either way, I miss lots of things from the culinary side of France.
I have to wonder what my friend, who has lived in France for 10 years, will wish she could have packed in her container. Maybe we can find suitable substitutes together. Or maybe we'll just open a bottle of wine, slice up Panera Bread's fairly passable baguette, and enjoy memories of the country we shared.
1 comment:
It's cazy isn't it? The things we miss on either side of the pond...xoxo
Post a Comment