I was a witness to a hit and run car accident today. Fortunately the lady involved was not hurt. I think she was more angry than anything. The Misses were with me though, and I used the experience to teach them a lesson about doing what is right.
Ours was the first car to pass this woman after she was hit. I stopped and asked if she was okay. When I realized that she was shaken up I parked my car and stayed with her until the police arrived. The girls asked to stay with me, and they asked A LOT of questions about what happened. Several other people stopped or came out of the stores near us, but no one else stayed once the police cars were in the parking lot. A couple of people left names and phone numbers, but the still left.
The woman's family arrived at about the same time as the police officer. I knew the woman would be okay at that point, but I stayed to make sure that the officer had everything that he needed from me. I have to admit that I was not much help in providing details, but I felt it was my duty to stay until the officer told me to leave.
On the ride home the Misses and I discussed the importance of providing whatever help we can to people in need, and to the police so that they can hopefully catch the idiot. We talked about what that means for them as kids, how they can help people who might need it. I used the example of telling a teacher if they see someone being bullied at school.
I loved how they really seemed to get what I was trying to teach them. In this case they truly seemed to understand the concept of taking care of someone else, even if that person is a complete stranger. They also seemed to understand the importance of telling the officer what I saw.
The sweetest part of the lesson came at bedtime though. Miss S prayed for the lady who was in the accident.
Yeah, I think they got it.
1 comment:
That really is beautiful. I'm not happy for the accident, but it's wonderful when you can use life to teach your kids the important lessons you want them to know.
Post a Comment