Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Cheering Section

Back in January I posted about my goals for the upcoming year. I started out with the best of intentions, then quickly lost my motivation. I kept telling myself that this is why I don't set goals or make resolutions - I never follow through!

But that isn't actually true. We haven't been eating more fish, and I haven't taken that last class for my re-certification (have you seen how expensive graduate classes are these days?), but I have been working pretty steadily toward my goal of making it to the gym 48 times in 6 months. I even set a new goal.

I want to run a 5K before the end of the summer.

Now, those of you who know me well know that the fact that I am still going to the gym regularly is amazing. I do not like exercise, and I am not a runner. I find it boring. Even with music. So why in the world would I want to run a 5K?

I needed a new goal. I have been very happy with my progress as tracked by the YMCA Wellness Works Program. My fat weight is down and my lean weight is up. My flexibility has increased by 4 inches. I can now bench press 35 pounds for 22 reps, and do 35 half sit-ups in 30 seconds. I am very happy.

But ... I needed a new goal. I need to push myself to do something that is out of the norm for me, something that would be a challenge. Running a 5K is that challenge.

Our YMCA has this great class called "Walk to Run." It is designed for people like me who are not runners, but want to give it a try. We have been working up to running a 5K or more, and it is so much easier with people who are around the same place that I am. None of us started out as runners. Some of us have realized that they are runners. Those folks are the ones who have already signed up for the next 3 or 4 road races in the area. I wish them well. I am pretty proud of the fact that I can now run 2 miles and still breathe.

One of the coolest things for me is that some of the staff not associated with the class are cheering me on. They have watched me struggle to finish the first mile I have attempted since high school. They have seem me literally fall on my rear end during interval training in this class (thanks to the lovely huge glass windows in the gym). They have seen me sweaty and red-faced after completing my first timed mile (10 minutes 25 seconds).

And they cheer for me. They stop me in the hallway and ask me how it is going. They encourage me, even when I say that I am going to stop running because it just isn't my thing. They tell me about races that would be interesting or a good first try for me. They share their experiences as athletes, the good and the not so good.

And they cheer for me.

So, I have selected my race. It is a charity run that takes place at night, just after the Family Fun Run. I am hoping that my whole family will take part.

Regardless, I know that there will be people who will be cheering for me.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'll be cheering for me! By the way I am getting a new treadmill this weekend. I killed my old one after 11 years!

Mom24 said...

Ugh! Blogger ate every comment I wrote when it was on "vacation". I worked hard to type those on my Nook!

Anyway, congratulations, great job, and keep up the good work!